Friday, July 9, 2010

SIXTY FIVE

My first birthday, July 12, 1946.

A lot of years have passed since then. 64, to be exact.

Next Monday, I will be 65 years old.



As I thought the other day about the prospect of turning 65, the Lord graciously reminded me,


"All the days ordained for me

were written in [His] book

before one of them came to be."

Psalm 139:16



I want to use the occasion of my birthday to say "THANK YOU, LORD" 65 times for 65 years of blessings straight from Your hand.



#1 -

Thank You, Lord for life itself.

You knit me together in my mother's womb. (Ps. 139:13)

You chose me in you before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in your sight. (Eph. 1:4)





#2 -


Thank You, Lord, for my father, Harry Hampton Greenway.

He delighted in me and loved me so unconditionally that it made it easy for me to understand Your love.




#3 -

Thank You, Lord, for my mother, Dolores Tucker Greenway. Her artistry with a needle and thread kept me clothed like a princess throughout my childhood. Today, in the winter of her life, her example has shown me that I will never grow too old to stop growing in You.


#4 -


Thank You for my paternal grandfather, Arlie Thomas Greenway. Big Daddy showed me the value of being single minded toward the things of God.



#5 -
Thank You for my paternal grandmother, Mattie Mae Davis Greenway. Mammy showed me that love is easier understood when it is demonstrative. I think I probably got my love of babies from her. (that's me on the left and my cousin Donnie Jean on the right)

#6 -
Thank You, Lord, for my maternal grandfather, Hal M. Tucker. Granddaddy displayed in his very essence what You want a man of genuine faith to be. What a legacy he left this family!


#7 -
Thank You, Lord, for my maternal grandmother, Mary E. Stitt Tucker. Her abiding love for You and Your Word stands as a prominent memory in my mind. I never remember seeing her begin a morning without spending time in Your Word.


#8 -

Thank You, Lord, for my brother, Berkley Greenway. He put up with his big sister bossing him around for a lot of years and loved me anyway.

#9 -


Thank You for my precious Aunt Nelle. She has loved me as if I were her own all my life. She has shown me the value of staying positive and pressing on even in the face of adversity.




#10 -


Thank You for my Aunt Nancy. Only 7 years older than me, she's been the older sister I never had. She has taught me the importance of loving your husband, trusting and being loyal - no matter what.


Lord, these precious aunts have only grown more dear through the years. Thank you for their love and guidance in my life.


#11 -

Thank You, Lord, for extended family. . . for aunts and uncles and cousins. I am so grateful to have a lineage of relatives who love You and live to honor You.



Cousins - my mother recalls that Grandmother Tucker made all four of these little dresses from only 6 yards of fabric. Linda seems to be showing more leg than the rest of us - guess that's where the fabric ran out. LOL - Sweet family memories. Thank You, Lord!



#12 -

Thank You, Lord, for a neighbor lady, Mrs. Hamm who saw my brother and me playing in the yard one Sunday morning and bravely stopped and invited our family to church.



#13 -


Thank You, Lord, for Idlewild Baptist Church in Tampa, Florida. It was there in 1953 that I invited Jesus to be my personal savior. It was through those doors (front and side) I used to enter and climb the stairs to that open air bell tower (prayer room), line my dolls up on the benches and "preach to them."



#14 -


Thank You, Lord, for the unnamed lady who came to my third grade classroom at school once a week with her flannel board and told us Bible stories. Public schools probably wouldn't allow that today. I remember how excited I was to tell her when I got saved. I remember how tightly she hugged me and I remember seeing tears in her eyes.



#15 -
Thank You, Lord, for Seminole Heights Baptist Church, my church home through my teenage years. The marvelous youth program there nurtured my commitment to You and helped me learn how to share my faith.




#16 -

Thank You, Lord, for a very special youth Sunday School teacher, Janey Faust. She showed me that good SS teachers weren't just for Sunday mornings but were there when you needed them any time during the week. When I became a youth SS teacher many years later, I asked You to help me be like Janey Faust!




#17 -
Thank You, Lord, for Chamberlain High School in Tampa, Florida and the wonderful education I received there. Thank You for opportunities to achieve and excell in that safe environment.


#18 -

Thank You, Lord, for organizations AT SCHOOL like this Youth For Christ club and for Christian friends and teachers that encouraged me to be "real" on a daily basis.

Teenaged Friends

#19 - Thank You, Lord, for my BFF, Sue Morris. For endless sharing of dreams and lots of double dates.


#20 - Thank You for Lee Beck (though we called him Leroy then!), Sue's "sometimes" boyfriend and my always best friend who just happened to be a boy! Wish I still had some of those notes we passed in the hallways at school!


#21 - Thank You for Bill Marr. When he met You, Lord, he was sold-out all the way. No compromise for Bill. Thank You for calling him to preach. Thank You for the way You've used him in countless lives through his years of ministry.


Lord, thank You for the friends these three were to me during my teenage years and thank You even more for letting them still be a part of my life (even if it is mostly through emails!).


#22 -

Thank You, Lord, for Blue Mountain College where I learned that being a lady and living for Christ will never go out of style.


#23 -


I don't even know how to adequately word THIS "thank You," Lord. At a time when I was vulnerable, alone, confused and emotionally asea because of my family's circumstances, YOU, in Your infinite grace and mercy, brought ROY WOOLEY into my life. And wonder of wonders - he loved me. Oh, Father, I am eternally grateful for Your sovereign provision of this wonderful man who became my husband! I know that You ordained him to be my husband as surely as I've ever known anything. I am a better person today because of his influence over the years.

(I'm thankful none of you can see how frustrated I am right now. In trying to adjust the spacing on this post, I inadvertedly deleted the 1963 picture of Roy and me. Now I can't get Blogger to let me put it back in. ARGH!!!!!)




With my marriage to Roy came the additional blessing of his family -

Thank You, Lord for the in-laws You gave me in 1964.

#24 - Thank You for my father-in-law, Hollis Wooley; for the fun and laughter he brought our family, for his undying devotion to his grandchildren.


#25 - Thank You for my mother-in-law, Edith Wooley. She loved me when I was anything BUT loveable! She taught me what kind of a mother-in-law I wanted to be someday.


#26 - Thank You for my sweet sister-in-law, Gennett, and for her selfless giving to our whole family! She's the glue that keeps us all together!

#27 -


Thank You, Lord, for moving Roy and me to Tupelo in 1965 and leading me to a job at Reed's Dept. Store. From Jack Reed Sr. a little 19 year old first time office worker like me learned the important lesson that ALL people are valuable and deserving of courtesy and respect. Thank You, Lord, for giving me an employer who reinforced Christian ethics in the secular world.



#28 -

Thank You, for the privilege of having Joyce Beasley as my Sunday School teacher (1968-70). To this day, I have never seen her that she did not make me feel loved and accepted. What a gift! She was my favorite SS teacher ever!!



#29 -

Thank You, Lord, for the gift of our first daughter, Lori, in 1966.


Lori opened the world of motherhood for me and filled dreams I'd held all my life. Thank You, Father, for the blessing she has been to us these 44 years. Thank You for her passion for life and her heart for You. Thank you for allowing me to be her mother. I love her so!



#30 -

Thank You, Lord for the gift of our son, John, in 1970.

He has filled our lives with joy and music. Thank You, for his talent and for the man he has become today. He has shown me what integrity and class are supposed to look like in a man. Thank You for the loving father he is to his daughters. Thank You for allowing me to be John's mother. I love him so!

#31 -



Thank You, Lord, for the gift of our baby girl, Lisa, in 1971.


Lord, Lisa's one of the greatest joys of my life. She's a daughter who knows me like no other. . . a daughter who is also my dearest FRIEND. She's shown me what it's like to emerge from life's hard places with grace and dignity. She's trusted me with her greatest treasures - her children. Thank You for allowing me to be Lisa's mother. I love her so!



#32 -

Thank You, Lord, for Aunt Dee. Though related only by bonds of the heart, she was a blessing to our family for many years. She loved and cared for our children as though they were her own. She's probably the reason Lori loves to raise a vegetable garden!


#33 -

Thank You for my friend and neighbor, Elaine Stockdale. Elaine taught me it was possible to pray without ceasing. We were such prayer partners I had a hard time learning to pray alone when she moved to Corinth.

#34-



Lord, I am so thankful for Bonnie and Harold and what wonderful neighbors and friends they were for so many years. It's was so hard to let them go when they moved to Phoenix and even harder to let them go when they went home to be with You. I still miss them think of them so often. Thank You for the wonderful memories of raising our children together, sharing meals and late night canasta games.



#35 -

Thank You, Lord, for Harrisburg Baptist Church and the privilege of spending 16 years as a member of this congregation. It was at Harrisburg I learned what my spiritual gifts were and was given opportunity to express them.



#36 -


It was at Harrisburg that You blessed me with my two FOREVER Friends. Thank You, Lord for Kay Martin (here with singer/songwriter/author, Kelly Minter). Kay has shown me what faithfulness to You looks like in a Christian woman.


#37 -

Thank You for Sandra Ray (here with Larry and their grandchildren). Sandra has modeled for me what it looks like for Your Spirit to shine forth from believers through their words and actions.

#38 -


Thank You, Lord, for Dr. Robert L. Hamblin who was pastor of HBC most of the years I was there. The seeds planted in my heart by his excellent teaching/preaching reaped a harvest of spiritual growth in my life that still has lingering roots today.



#39 -


Thank You, Lord, for the ministry of Dr. Peter Lord through tapes, books and conferences. From his ministry I learned to seek Your face and not Your hands.



#40 -



Thank You, Lord, for giving us Dennis for a son-in-law in 1986. He has added much joy and laughter to our family with his great sense of humor and willingness to do whatever's needed. I'm so grateful to be his mother-in-law and even more grateful to call him my FRIEND. Thank you for Dennis, Lord!



#41 -

Thank You, Lord, for leading me to 1st Evan in 1988. It was here I learned that church is just another word for "family." It was here that I learned what it mean to worship You in Spirit and in truth.




#42 -


Thank You, Lord, for Explorer's Bible Study and for the privilege of teaching the '88-89 study on the Early History of Israel. What utter joy! I learned what homeletics meant and how to write a message strictly through what You showed me as I studied. I learned more that year than any participant in the group ever could have!



#43 -


Thank You, Lord, for the birth of our first grandchild, Mallory, in 1989. Her talent and imagination are unequaled. Thank You for her diligent spirit and the way she excels in all she does. Thank You for blessing her with a husband who loves You (and her) with his whole heart. Bless their home, Lord God, as they keep You in the very center of their love for one another.



#44 -

Thank You, Lord, for the years of pageant ministry at 1st Evan. It was such a joy for me to make countless costumes and see them used to depict Your work during Your earthly ministry.



#45-

Thank You for the years of Banner Ministry. Studying Your Names, Lord God, taught me truths about You and brought me to a level of worship that nothing else could have. Thank You!



#46 -

Thank You for the birth of our second grandchild, Hillary, in 1990. What a joy to be with this little curly-sue through all her growing up. What a joy to know her sweet and compassionate spirit and to see her become a beautiful, responsible young woman. Bless her Lord, and keep her always as the apple of Your eye.



#47 -

Lord, I can't even say "Thank You for Maggie" without a smile spreading widely across my face. Maggie has such an effervescent spirit - a happiness that bubbles from within and spreads to everyone around her. Thank You for blessing our family with this remarkable young woman. She is joy personified to us! Bless her Lord, and continue to use her to do great things in Your kingdom's work.



#48 -

Thank You, Lord, for blessing us with our grandson, Hamp, in 1992. Thank you for his sweet spirit and charming ways. Thank you for the friends and acceptance he has found in the world of drama. I pray that You will use it in his life to instill confidence and leadership as he emerges into the world of young adulthood. He's a joy to us and we thank You for his fun and loving personality.

#49 -

Thank You, Father, for the privilege of leading Women's Ministries at 1st Evan in the late '90's. It was one of the greatest joys of my life. Thank You for the things You taught me about leadership through our accomplishments - but particularly for the things you taught me through my mistakes.

#50-

Thank You, Lord, for my trip to Israel in March 2000. Without a doubt this was the trip of a lifetime for me. It has forever colored the way I read Your Word! I pray that I will never forget what it was like to see some of the very places Jesus walked on this earth and to sense the presence of Your Spirit in the Holy City of Jerusalem.



#51 -

Father, I never thought I would thank You for this. But - I want say "thank You" with all my heart for the years You allowed me to spend in the wilderness exile of depression. Without those years I would not have known your great deliverance. I can say with the psalmist, "Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word." (Ps. 119:67) You have taught me the vital need of repentance. You have taught me the joy of restoration. You taught be that You were Faithful when I was faithless. You lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; and gave me a firm place to stand. You put a new song in my mouth. (Ps. 40:2-3)



#52 -

Thank You, Lord for Kim Edwards and the "chance" encounter you orchestrated for me to have with her on one of the darkest days of my depression. She hugged me, loved me, and introduced me to her sons as "a lady who taught Mommy God's Word." It made me want to be that "lady" again, Lord. Thank You for gentle encouragers like Kim and the way You use them in our lives.

#53-

Thank You, Lord, for the gift of our 5th grandchild, Mira, in 2001. She delightfully filled the "baby-void" in our family that had existed for nine years. We were all totally smitten and captivated by this precious little girl. I thank You, Lord, for her tender heart and pray that Your hand of protection and guidance will be upon her throughout her life. She's our shining star!



#54 -

Thank You, Lord for our son-in-law, Keith. His mad-scientist skills with chemicals keeps the pool in pristine condition and provides endless enjoyment for his children and me in the summer months. Thank You for his many talents, Lord, and the blessing they are to our family.


#55 and #56 -

Thank You, Lord, for Lisa & Keith's twins, our sixth and seventh grandchildren - Race and Hallie. These little munchkins arrived in 2002 while I was still wandering in the wilderness. You used them, Lord, to fill my arms as well as my heart and to give me renewed purpose. I cannot even estimate what a blessing caring for these precious children has been to me! I pray daily that they will learn to love you with all their hearts, minds, souls and strength. Bless them according to Your riches in glory, Lord.



#57 -

Thank You, Lord, for our eighth grandchild, Megan, born in 2003. Meg's our little entertainer and fills our life with love and laughter. I pray, Father, that You will continue to bless Megan with a zest for life like she has right now. I pray that her zeal will turn to you and that she will trust in You with all her heart and acknowledge You in all her ways.


#58 -

Thank You, Lord, for Hope Church . . . and, yes, I know that Hope and 1st Evan are the same church with a new name. But the Hope Church of today is a very different church from the 1st Evan I knew in the '90's. . . And I am a very different person than I was back then. So - I just wanted to say "thank You" for this church once again and for what it means in my life. Hope Church has welcomed me back and restored me to places of service. The "difference" at Hope that I thank you most for, Lord, is the fact that now I have my sweet husband sitting beside me every Sunday. His presence and participation at church is beyond precious to me!



#59-

Thank You, Lord, for Karen McGee - a sister in Christ in every way. Karen has shown me what the heart of a true intercessor looks like. She's shown me what faith, trust, and dependence on You looks like in every day life. She's taught me the value of serving others and being there for your family even when it requires sacrifice.



#60 -

Thank You, Lord, for my sweet sister, Vickie Price. Vickie's the only person who has ever asked me to "disciple" them. I didn't even know what that really meant. I'm not sure she did either. But, as a consequence, You let us walk through a really tough time together, Lord. Thank You for the things You taught us. Thank You for the way You have forever bonded our hearts. Thank You for showing Yourself strong. Thank you, Lord, for Vickie's love for You . . . for her unending optimism . . . for her tender heart and generous spirit.

#61 -


Thank You, Lord, for my precious sister, Evelyn Wages. Thank You for her faith and especially for the things You've taught her over the last year. Thank You, Lord, for Evelyn's faithfulness to pray for me when I need it. What would I do without her? She's one of Your sweetest blessings to me, Lord, and I thank You for her testimony of Your grace and goodness.



#62 -

Oh, Father! How do I say "thank You" for the privilege of teaching Sunday School? During my depression I was totally convinced I would never be in this place of service again. Today I know that was a lie straight from the father of lies. I have no words to express how humbled I am to be allowed to wash the feet of Your daughters with the water of Your Word. You have filled my heart to overflowing with love for the women in this class, Lord God. How I praise You for each and every one of them (and I wish I had a more current picture!). Father, rightly dividing Your Word and ministering it to Your daughters is a privilege I find VERY sobering and approach in reverence, fear and humility. Thank You for Your great faithfulness and for Your Spirit who is the real teacher!



#63 -

Thank You, Lord, for this sweet group of Bible study sisters. You have allowed me to be a part of many wonderful Bible study groups over the years. Bible study with other women is my all-time favorite "activity." I thank You for this particular group, Lord, since they so sweetly welcomed me - the only one not a part of their church body. It has been a wonderful study, a great time of reconnecting with old friends and a precious time of getting to know new friends. Thank You, Father, for the bond of the Spirit that unites us as sisters in YOU.




#64 -

Thank You, Father, for the cross of Christ where He who knew no sin died as the sacrifice for me who was still IN sin. Thank You that ALL my sins - past, present and future - were nailed to the cross with Jesus. Thank You that the blood He shed there paid the cost and redeemed me from the dominion of sin. Thank You, Father, that receiving Jesus as my Savior makes me Your child and allows me to call You FATHER. Thank You, Lord for saving my soul! Thank You, Lord for making me whole!




#65 -

Thank You for being my ABBA! Thank You that Your arms are always outstretched ready for me to run into them. Thank You for welcoming me as Your beloved child. Thank You for asking me to dance the dance of my life in Your arms. You are my ABBA. I love You so!!!


17 comments:

The Curry's said...

Oh Beverly, that was so sweet and inspirational. I'm so thankful to the Lord that I met you!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, that has to be, BY FAR, the most beautiful thing I have ever read. I can hardly type this comment for the tears (I am so darn sappy). Amazing, mama - simply amazing. You not only found 65 things to be thankful for, but they were very REAL things that anyone that knows you will know are honest and heartfelt. Just when I think I love you as much as possible, you show me a way that I can love you even more. Incredible, mom! I love you so much!!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I think there should be a disclosure statement for middle-aged daughters so that we know to go find the tissue box and the chocolate before we begin to read this. ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKINGLY LOVELY...which, of course, matches your spirit and heart, Mom. I love you!!!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Beverly, that was beautiful, it is amazing how your life changes thru christ, i know mine has. You are a wonderful writer and yes the family i know is wonderful to you did a great job as a parent. God Bless

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

"I am minding my own business looking at facebook posts and after reading your girls notes I had to rush to the blog. Now 3 tissues later I must say what an absolute honor to be mentioned in your thankful notes. That very illustration of me asking you to disciple me and how God put on your heart the very same message he put on mine began the realization that God is not too busy to hear the cry of my heart and move int behalf. I love you and count you as one of God's greatest gifts to me."
Vickie

Anonymous said...

That was awesome, Gran, but who was that stud in the pink tux? What a looker!
Hamp

Anonymous said...

Well I am crying too. Such an inspirational and beautiful way with words!
Sherri

Anonymous said...

HOW NEAT! Loved all the pictures and what a great way to remember all that our gracious Father has blessed you with! Evelyn

Lois said...

Thankful you are my cousin and the lifetime of memories that you so beautifully shared!

Lois

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Wow! This was great! You put a lot of time and thought into this post! And ...HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

Marilyn

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Oh my, Beverly!!! This just so blessed me and I am absolutely honored to be mentioned as one of your blessings. You did a wonderful job of conveying 65 blessings!! Happy, happy birthday!!! Love you!!!!

lbeck said...

Bev,

I feel greatly honored to be one of your many friends. It's amazing what the years have brought to the both of us on different roads but with the same leadership and guidance from Our Father. You introduced us to Beth Moore’s ministry, and Barbara is leading one in our home now. I’m sure that the seeds that you have sown through the years have borne much fruit – not just with us.

Anonymous said...

What a precious celebration of your birthday--65 wonderful thank-yous to THE FATHER GOD! I'm thankful to know you, treasure your friendship, feel so very honored to be included in the list of 65 blessings, and grateful HE led you to write such an inspiring message.
Happy Birthday--we'll do lunch when it's convenient for you!
Love you much!!!
Sandra

Anonymous said...

She showed me a joyful spirit while camping!Did not know that you are friends with Elaine Stockdale. We go way back to rafting days and camping days when our children were younger,[ or maybe us too].

His Doorkeeper said...

Beverly, Words fail me to tell you what a wonderful tribute to the Lord your post is!!

I absolutely LOVE the pictures of you as a baby with your Mother and Father. Your Mother is beautiful and you were a BEAUTIFUL baby...maybe that's why you are such a beautiful lady now in your "old age" LOL!!

What a tribute to the people all throughout your life. Isn't it neat to look back to see how God has orchestrated our lives to get us where we are today?

We serve an awesome God, don't we? How can we NOT trust Him??

I was born on July 8, 1948. July is a good birthday month! Happy Birthday a few days late!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but argg it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at beverlysblurbs.blogspot.com could repost it.

Thanks,
John

Missylaine said...

My dear neighbor....You know how the Lord dwells in our praises and thanksgiving, and you praised Him beautifully. I learned so much about you as I carefully followed your story in pictures. One, I had no idea that your children look just like you as a child. Ohmagoodness. You know, we were only neighbors a short while; but our fellowship was sweet and growing. Thank you for honoring me in your "Sixty Five" blessing. You certainly are one of mine. Love you. elaine