Monday, June 27, 2011

Lesson 1 (part 2): ELOHIM and the Holy Spirit

Names ascribed to the Holy Spirit such as Spirit of God, the Breath of the Almighty, Gift of God, Voice of the Lord, and the Glory of the Lord clearly reveal the Holy Spirit's divine nature. The Holy Spirit is not only a Person with intellect, emotions and volition; He is Deity. He is God. He is an equal Person of the God-head.



ELOHIM

The name Elohim is by far the most common name for God in scripture. In fact, it is the primary word translated "GOD" in the Old Testament.

The name is derived from the Hebrew word El meaning "Strong One" or "Mighty One". Elohim (God) is the Strong One who manifests Himself by His Word. The "him" in Elohim is a Hebrew plural ending that indicates 3 or more.

Elohim is the name used in the first (Genesis 1:1) and last (Revelation 22:19) reference to God in scripture. It is often used in connection with God's rule over His creation. Genesis 1:1 literally says - "In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth." Our Mighty God created a cosmos out of chaos and all three Persons of His being were present and active in the creation. Anybody else shouting "hallelujah!" ?

In Genesis 1:2, the Holy Spirit is referred to as the Spirit of God.
In Job 27:3 as the Breath of God
In Isaiah 61:1 as the Spirit of the Lord God
In Daniel 4:8 as the Spirit of the Holy God
In Luke 11:20 as the finger of God
In Acts 8:20 as the gift of God
In 1 Cor. 2:12 as the Spirit who is from God
In 1 Cor. 6:11 as the Spirit of our God
In 2 Cor. 3:3 as the Spirit of the living God
In Ephesians 3:19 as the fullness of God
In 1 Peter 4:14 as the Spirit of glory and of God
In Rev. 3:1 as the Seven Spirits of God
In Rev. 7:2 as the Seal of the living God
In Rev. 9:4 as the Seal of God

Each of these scriptures uses a name for the Holy Spirit that links Him with Elohim. Each time you see the word "GOD" in these references, it is the Hebrew word Elohim (or a derivative of it) or the Greek equivalent "theos." Since the name Elohim for God reminds us of God's strength and faithfulness to His Word, these names of the Holy Spirit being linked to the name Elohim imply that the Holy Spirit has the ability to accomplish His work in our lives and honor the promises of the scriptures.

What does it mean to you that the Holy Spirit is strong enough to accomplish His work in your life?

It infuses me with HOPE and CONFIDENCE. I so often "fizzle before the finish" because I lack what it takes to finish my "race." It gives me confidence to know that when I am weak, He is strong. It fills me with hope because I know the Holy Spirit who lives within me has the strength to persevere when I feel like quitting. He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it. (Phil. 1:6)

What does it mean to you to know that the Holy Spirit is faithful enough to honor the promises scripture makes to you?

I don't know about you, but it gives me GREAT comfort! I am so often FAITHLESS but He has always been faithful. The Holy Spirit has dwelt in me for more than 57 years and I can tell you unequivocally that He has NEVER left me, NEVER forsaken me, NEVER failed me. I KNOW I can trust Him to carry out His promises.

Oh, how I pray that you know the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit in your life! If you don't, all you have to do is ask the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive your sins and come into your life as your personal Savior. When you repent of your sins, Jesus will cleanse you from all unrighteousness and send His precious Holy Spirit to seal you as HIS for all eternity! Joy unspeakable!

No comments: