Why would a sheep be able to say "I shall not want"?
Because the LORD who is his Shepherd
- delights in His flock
- sees to it that they are safe
- provides them shelter from the storms
- protects them from ruthless enemies
- heals the diseases and parasites they are susceptible to
- sees to it that they are well fed
- goes to great lengths to provide them the finest pastures
- makes sure they have ample feed in the winter season
- satisfies their thirst with clean water
- sees to it that they flourishing under His care
- literally lays Himself out for those who are His.
This word "want" in the first verse of Psalm 23 carries a broader meaning, however, than simply that of not lacking - of being provided for. That may be the main idea, of course, but the word "want" as it is used here also carries the connotation of being totally CONTENT in the Shepherd's care and not craving or desiring anything more.
My Shepherd has faithfully and continually provided for me for many years. I know Him well as JEHOVAH JIREH - the LORD who provides. Everything He has ever demanded OF me, He has provided FOR me the same way He provided a ram caught in the thicket for Abraham to sacrifice instead of his son of promise. I know that when I am tempted, He has made a way of escape for me. I am not powerless in the face of the temptations that assault me. God has given me His Spirit with His dunamis (Greek for "dynamite") power. Where I am weak, He is strong. He provides all I need. And, quite frankly, I can say that God has blessed me over the years "exceedingly abundantly above all I could ask or think."
But in the face of having all I need provided - I have to ask myself: Am I content? Am I content to fully trust myself to His care and control . . . OR am I continually wanting my own way? Can I say I am content and, yet, constantly crave foods that are unhealthy and will harm the physical body I need to be on my feet, following the Shepherd?
Phillip Keller shares a story that I pray God will use to speak to your heart like He has mine. It's a little long but well worth reading:
"I once owned a ewe whose conduct exactly typified a carnal Christian who wants the best of both worlds - a fence crawler. She was one of the most attractive sheep that ever belonged to me. Her body was beautifully proportioned. She had a strong constitution and an excellent coat of wool. Her head was clean, alert, well-set with bright eyes. She bore sturdy lambs that matured rapidly.
But in spite of all these attractive attributes she had one pronounced fault. She was restless - discontented - a fence crawler. So much so that I came to call her Mrs. Gad-about.
This one ewe produced more problems for me than almost all the rest of the flock combined. No matter what field or pasture the sheep were in, she would search all along the fences looking for a loophole she could crawl through and start to feed on the other side.
It was not that she lacked pasturage. My fields were my joy and delight. No sheep in the district had better grazing.
With Mrs. Gad-about it was an ingrained habit. She was simply never contented with things as they were. Often when she had forced her way through such a spot in a fence she would end up feeding on bare, brown, burned-up pasturage of a most inferior sort.
But she never learned her lesson and continued to fence crawl time after time.
Now it would have been bad enough if she was the only one who did this. It was a sufficient problem to find her and bring her back. But the further point was that she taught her lambs the same tricks. They simply followed her example and soon were as skilled at escaping as their mother.
Even worse, however, was the example she set the other sheep. In a short time she began to lead others through the same holes and over the same dangerous paths."
I can't stand to copy the end of the story. Keller tells about eventually having to slaughter this beautiful ewe he so dearly loved in order to save the rest of the flock from becoming unsettled.
Oh, Sweet Shepherd - how long will you strive with me? Forgive me when I desire the enticing sweets of the world's wares instead of the healthy foods you provide. Teach me to taste and see that YOU are good. Enable me to treasure the words of Your mouth more than my daily bread.


No comments:
Post a Comment