Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome, 2009!

Right now you are a NEW year and filled with all kinds of promise. As my new year dawns this morning, God has spoken the promise of possession of a "land" of freedom His Spirit is leading me into. I feel almost tingly with excitement - alive with possibility. At the same time, my heart is awash with gratitude for God's mercies, grace and multiplied blessings throughout the past year, 2008.

I wrote yesterday about not being ready to say farewell to Christmas. Truth is, I have never been good at "good-byes" of any sort. I remember a few years ago as my son and his family were leaving to go back to Ohio. My daughter-in-law said, "Now don't cry, Beverly." My son, knowing his mother WELL, responded, "Yeah! Well, good luck with that one!" Good-byes have a definite way of inviting my tears. Always have!

This morning I shed no tears telling 2008 good-bye. It was a good year for me. A year of growing in the knowledge of my Savior's love. A year of learning to walk in step with His Spirit. A year of reconnecting with people who love Him too. A year filled with God's goodness and faithfulness. A very good year, indeed. But 2008 is past and I have no desire to hang onto or relive the past.

I want to move forward. I want to "go on" with God. Don't you? So, I say Welcome, 2009! I can't wait to see what God has planned for this year. The future holds glorious promise. What ever that "promise" involves. . . whether it is mountains to climb or valleys to wade through . . .it is going to be GOOD because God will be in control!

Beth Moore issued a scripture memory challenge on the LPM blog for a Jesus Year in 2009. I'm participating. Are you? I have felt a calling on my heart for some time to be more disciplined in memorizing God's Word and embraced this challenge as just what I "needed" . . . just what I "wanted." This morning I asked the Lord what the first scripture was that He wanted me to memorize this year. I'll be honest . . . I was tempted to pick one I already "kinda knew" so it would be easy. The Lord reminded me He's never called me to walk the easy path.

When I read Beth's New Year's eve note to "singles" and read the scripture she said she began 2008 with, the Spirit quickened it in my heart and I knew it was to begin my 2009.

Deuteronomy 11:11-12 (NIV)
But the land you are crossing the Jordan to take possession of
is a land of mountains and valleys that drinks rain from heaven.
It is a land the LORD your God cares for;
the eyes of the LORD your God are continually on it
from the beginning of the year to its end.

I am standing at the edge of my own Jordan. I may need to get my feet a little wet in a step of faith before my Jordan parts. It may take me awhile to cross. I may need to stop and pick up some stones of remembrance. Once I cross, I'm sure there will be mountains to climb. And, undoubtedly, there will be more valleys. Life seems full of them sometimes. But my heart is pounding with the promise of possibility. God has POSSESSION of the "land" He is leading me into in store for me. He is going to water the "land" that I possess with the life-giving rain of His Spirit as I live there and let His Spirit reign.

His eyes will be continually on my "land" and me from the beginning of this new year, 2009, to its end. What a marvelous promise! Welcome, 2009! Lead on O King Eternal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the post! I have joined the scriture memorization as well. Have a blessed new year! Love, Kay

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I can't tell you how GREAT it is to have you posting again! Have missed you! Love all the Christmas pictures of the family!

I, too, have joined the Scripture memorization over at Beth's blog and my first passge that I posted today is I John 4: 17-19... "Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him because he first loved us."

I want to learn these verses because "fear" is something that I deal with constantly and I want to put that behind me this year!

God bless you my dear Friend!

Marilyn