On New Year's Eve Roy's mother went to the senior center near where she lives to walk and exercise with her friends. Her usual routine. She began experiencing chest pains and a friend took her to the local ER. Her blood pressure was extremely high and they detected enough heart irregularities that they made her an appointment with a cardiologist. Roy's sister brought her to her home (about 3 miles from us) here in Tupelo. Jan. 2nd she saw the cardiologist and on the 5th had a cardiac catherization. It showed six blockages that would require bypass surgery to resolve. She'll be 88 in March so rather than subject her to the trauma of open heart surgery they began treating her with medication. It didn't work for her at all. She continued having chest pains daily and had to be rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night a week later. On Jan. 14th they did bypass surgery and all went beautifully. Her recovery was a little slower than the average patient but remarkable for someone her age.
Edith is a woman of great courage and inner strength in my estimation. I was/am SO proud of how hard she works to pass every goal the medical establishment sets for her. She is strong-willed (Roy says "stubborn") and optimistic. She, undoubtedly, is where my sweet husband inherited his humor and his always positive outlook on life. Great character traits to have, by the way! Mountains to climb? Valleys to wade through? Their attitude is "face it head on - keep laughing - keep moving - and you'll get through it and be better on the other side."
Edith came home from the hospital on Jan. 24th with our entire family delighted in her progress and prognosis. A mere 24 hours later we were back in the ER with her struggling to breathe! They did another catherization and found that all but one of the six bypasses from her surgery had failed and her heart function was down to about 20%. You cannot imagine what a bleak picture the doctors painted for us. They literally did not expect her to live through the night. They told us "if" she lived she would likely be in the hospital for weeks and "if" she left the hospital, she would be a semi-invalid the rest of her life. They didn't know our Edith and they DEFINITELY didn't know our God!!
She spent the next four days in CCU making remarkable recovery. Her doctor was astounded and would talk to us shaking his head and saying he couldn't explain it. GRIN! She got out of CCU and into a room on Thursday evening and we're hoping she'll be able to come home (to Gennett's) today or tomorrow.
Mountains? Valleys? Yes. But, oh how I wish I could explain the pervading sense of God's peace and presence in the midst of it all. It (HE) truly passes all understanding!
The Sunday Edith "crashed" and had to be rushed back to the hospital, God had spoken a verse into my heart early that morning. It was Psalm 139:16
The blessings of the mountains our family has climbed and the valleys we've descended this past month have been MANY! Some of them, I'm sure I have yet to recognize. But these I KNOW:
- The old hymn is right - 'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus! To picture Edith held in the hollow of God's hand as she lay in that CCU bed connected to all kinds of tubes and machines was the greatest comfort. To KNOW that she was resting, not on a hospital's expensive air mattress, but in the everlasting arms of a great and awesome God who loves her with an everlasting love and ordained every one of her days before she was ever even born spoke continual peace to my spirit.
- Roy's family doesn't talk about "feelings." Most of them are believers but not very vocal about their faith. For the first time in the 44 years I have been a part of this family, I had the opportunity to hold my sweet mother-in-law's hands, lay my cheek to hers and pray aloud for her. Not just once, but several times - just Edith, me and God. Since she's recovered and been in her room, I had the occasion to get to talk with her about how and why she felt so peaceful in the face of death and what God has yet for her to do. It was truly a conversation that will ever be precious to me.
- And, oh the blessing of praying for others in that CCU waiting room. Everybody in that valley is filled with concern for loved ones. Some have been there keeping vigil for many days and are weary physically, emotionally and spiritually. Many do not experience the good outcome we did. I felt so honored to be able to see the needs of others and pray for them. Broken hearts were all around me and my Savior came to heal the broken hearted.
- Edith's illness has given me the privilege of reconnecting with some extended family members and God has opened some doors that I am praying He has great plans for in the future.
I'm inclined to say that I hope February doesn't bring as many mountains and valleys as January did. But, you know what? I'm not sure that's how I really feel. I DO want Edith to be well but if the Lord has more mountains and valleys in our path, I want to walk with Him over and through them. His presence has been so precious in our January journey I never want to proceed without it.
In the same sentence He told us the land we would possess was filled with mountains and valleys, He said it drank rain from heaven. He has bountifully supplied rain this past month. His Spirit has rained living water upon us daily that has replenished and restored us in ways that nothing else could.
Oh, praise You, Abba Father!
You will fulfill your purpose for me-
Your love endures forever -
You will not abandon the works of Your hands.
(Ps.138:8 personal paraphrase)
2 comments:
Knowing what has been going on with Mrs. Edith I didn't really expect to find a recent post but decided to check out your blog today anyway. I'm glad I did! What a great testimony! Hope you will be able to write more regularly soon. I miss your writings. They always help me so much.
God bless,
Marilyn
Dear Beverly,
I had been wondering how you were since I had not seen you or heard from you lately. Now I know. I am so sorry about Mrs. Wooley's ordeal, but am glad she is progressing. Keep posting!
Love,
Kay
Post a Comment