Everybody's got one, right? An opinion, I mean. Sometimes it can be a dangerous thing to ASK people to share them. But, I'm taking the plunge. I want your feedback.
I have shamefully neglected my blog. Lately, the Lord has been bringing it more and more to my mind and I'm seeking His direction as to its direction.
Will you give me some feedback and trust God to use it?
(1) Are you tired of checking for new posts and being disappointed day after day?
If so, please accept my humble apologies. When I first began this blog, I was not serving in any other ministry areas and writing the blog was my primary outlet. Today, I am teaching Sunday School and leading a Bible study group and the blog has moved down my "priority list."
I very much need to be able to BWOG (blog without guilt) and receive grace from you when I am unable to post daily. BUT - on the flip side of that, I know how disappointed I get when I log onto my favorite blogs and nothing new is posted day after day. I hate doing that to others and truly desire to post with greater regularity!
(2) What do you desire from my blog?
The blogs I follow that I love most fall into two or three catagories. My number #1 favorite seems to be the ones that are sort of just a "diary" of their daily family events. That may be because most of them are young moms with small children and I am a SUCH a grandmother!! I'm hopelessly smitten and finding myself in cyber-love with some of these sweet babies. I anxiously await the next adorable photo and giggle while I read what their moms record of their every milestone. I love the memories their stories evoke of times when my own children were little. I often find myself marveling at the wisdom and spiritual insight of these young mothers and wish I'd been that wise at their age.
The other blogs I follow with equal anticipation represent prayer needs - most of them desperately sick children that God has placed on my heart. The internet has opened another whole world of intercession for me.
The third group are some who write a more devotional style or object lesson type blog. I have to admit, these don't draw me in with the same fervor of the other two. I enjoy them mostly because of knowing the women who write them.
So - I wrestle with what "kind" of blog mine needs to be. I mean, how interesting would the day to day life of a 60-something retired couple be? I wouldn't have any pictures of bald-headed babies with big hair bows to make you smile. A bald-headed husband maybe - but I'd sure never get a big fluffy head-band hair bow on him - and if I did, you might laugh so much it would be dangerous to your health. GRIN!
When I first began the blog, it was primarily to encourage others who struggled with food issues like I did (and still DO) and to proclaim God's mighty works in delivering me from depression. Do I need to return to that? A couple of friends and I are currently working on encouraging one another about our eating habits. It's an ongoing area of need - and growth.
I've also been thinking about using the blog to "reteach" my Sunday School lessons in bite-sized pieces. I always feel like there is so much more yet to be explored in every lesson. I yearn to be able to demonstrate how the Word we are studying applies to what goes on in our every day lives.
(3) Will you participate through comments when I post?
That's the BIG question. So many people used to tell me they read my blog - or they would comment about "missing" it when I didn't post. But so few left comments. And, I'm not talking about comments like "great post" or "I really needed that" etc. I'm talking about comments that engage in dialog about the content. So few of you ever did that. If I write again, I really desire discussion. We need to be "iron sharpening iron" not just Bevo writing and everybody nodding agreement. Especially if you disagree with me, I want to hear from you. God VERY often teaches me the most important truths through an opposing point of view.
I truly desire your input on this:
8 comments:
Hi Beverly,
So good to "see" you back! I have missed you. I have been checking in once a week or so to see if you had posted anything. Knew that your mother-in-law had been sick so wondered if you were still busy with her.
I'm not sure if I will be able to answer your questions helpfully or not. I should have written them down before coming to the comment page I guess. But I will try.
I don't post as much on my blog as I would like to either but it's so much a part of my life that I HAVE to make time for it seems like! I love it! I also teach a Sunday school ladies class and am leading the Esther Bible study at Sav-A-Life on Tuesday mornings before we open for business. (This is for the counselors & volunteers) I'm sure that I probably neglect other things that need to be done in my house to get a blog post written. Maybe it's therapy for me!
As to what I like to read in blogs, it is varied. I also like to read the day-to-day "diary" type blogs but they are the "fluff" to me....not the meat that I truly desire. On the other hand, I normally do not enjoy a very long, teaching type blog post, and usually end up just skimming over it. I can't really put my finger on what it is that attracts me to a blog.....it's not always the same thing.....it's usually just the personality of the one who is doing the writing.
And as for comments.....I'm probably one of those people you talked about just saying, "I needed that" or something. ha ha If so, then I apologize. Sometimes I read the comments on someone's blog and they are so interesting and add even new points to the subject that was written about. I WANT to be able to do that....but sometimes I am just at a loss for words. Sometimes I just say "Amen" or "Great post" just so that the author will know I am reading their work and liking it. And other times I try and try and try to leave a comment and my crazy computer won't cooperate with me! It gets so time consuming then that I just give up and stop trying.
I'm not sure that I have actually answered any of your questions.....maybe just rehashed what you already said???
Anyway.....it's good to see you back and I hope it works out for you to stay!
God bless!
Marilyn
Dear Beverly,
I will try to actually "comment" on your post rather than just say good post. I enjoy the blogs that give the day to day life of the family, but I also like the devotional or teaching type blogs. If they are too long, I find myself not reading all of them simply because of time. You have so much to offer so I do hope you will continue to blog.
Love,
Kay
As you know; this season of my life is so harried but I realize was God sent; that I hardly have time to read anything. But I sometimes check and I do miss your posts about your life time eating journey. Sounds crazy; but I have realized that this subject is on going for us that deal with it. I had done so well for all of those months and then after returning to work at nearly 66 years old, find I still have the problem. Isn't that just like the enemy to make one feel you have gotten over that mountain, never to have to climb it again. Not true. I have gained about 10 pounds of that 30 that I had lost. Nothing I can't take care of but I have realized that it is bigger than the actual weight because I see that I have lost that much sought after control and have lost that discipline that I had worked on daily for so long. Knowing that my eating correctly and taking care of the Temple of the Holy Spirit is going to be a forever thing; that I must continue to work on and do need that accountablity of you and others like you. I really feel there are many others out there that had never read blogs that much; like myself, but out of the need of accountablity did so connect to yours. I do know it was a God thing when you felt led to start it; and figure it still is. Knowing my half-brain these days; maybe some of this will make sense to you. Love you and love how God's speaks to you and through you. Lisa Shannon
Hey Bevo, My heart is with food addictions or any other addictions our sisters are suffering from. It's an encouragement to hear how everyone is doing and to encourage each other.
Love your blog! We have a family blog, too. I'll be adding you to my list of favorites to check!
3) If you post - we will read, if you teach - we will learn, if you speak - we will listen!
We want your input into our lives!
If we MUST - we will leave comments! But... I DO NOT promise that mine will be on line! ( They have a way of finding their way, to the point, much better if they are "spoken"!) BUT! I will try!
1) I am disappointed when I check and you have not posted BUT I never grow tired of checking, in hopes of finding a new treasure! The time is well spent, when the treasure is there, the joy of the read helps one forget the disappointments of the past!
2) What I desire... anything that you think worthy of your time to share!!! And I really do mean that! If it is about something that one of the kids has done, something Roy has said or a nugget of wisdom from the Word that He has given you, your style of writing always brings it to life! And we KNOW that I am all about LIFE & LIFE more abundantly!!!
And just think... I am the 6th person to respond to this and it is only the 1st day! WOW!
Beverly,
I love this era of electronic communication exemplified by such things as Facebook and Blogs. It started for me with email – but there you don’t generally see pictures and once an email is received I feel compelled to answer even though it may not be convenient time-wise. That’s what is great with the newer, more visually oriented communication.
I will give honest answers to your questions. I know that is what you want.
(1) No, I don’t check daily for new posts. I do my friend-surfing when time and curiosity align. Your blog is one of the dozen or so that I check from time-to-time.
(2) I want you to put whatever is on your heart. You may not know how far your influence reaches. You have a marvelous gift of communication. I think that I shared with you years ago how much Barbara and I enjoyed the original Beth Moore study that you introduced us to. God knew that the timing was right with the time that Barbara had while healing a broken leg. Barbara went on to facilitate several of the Beth Moore series and our church has purchased the DVDs. Our “Small Group” that meets on Sunday nights is presently in the middle of “A Woman’s Heart.” Half of us in the study are not of the softer gender, but the Biblical account of God building the tabernacle is genderless. What I’m trying to say is that your interest in communicating the Lord’s work goes beyond what you see. (2a) Go back to my first sentence – Write about whatever is on your heart. Some things may be too personal and are best left to communication with your closest friends and family, but I have found blogging to be somewhat of a catharsis for me at times. And that is what I want for you. I determined years ago that not many people who have access to it actually read my blog. But I update it mostly for me. It also isn’t quite as ego-damaging as emailing pictures of my beautiful grandchild and never getting a response! It also is a convenient way to share pictures. When someone casually asks “got any new pictures of Megan (or my latest trip, etc.)” I refer them to my blog.
(3) Of the dozen or so blogs that I read – on occasion, not daily (or even weekly) – I comment on the average of once a year per blog. This may be because of laziness or a desire for anonymity, but not from lack of interest. I doubt that this will change.
In summary, I am hoping that you will continue blogging. I will miss your posts if you quit. But don’t take it too seriously either. Post when the Spirit moves you and not out of guilt. And don’t get discouraged if you perceive (maybe accurately and maybe not) that people aren’t reading what you have put so much thought, work, and prayer in providing for us.
Beverly,
I'm Mike's mom and have had the pleasure of meeting you in person. It has been so nice to read your blog and learn more about the family into which my son will marry. I check it every now and then when Lori gives me an update. You write beautifully and my husband and I couldn't be happier that Mike Jr. will marry into such a wonderful Christian family. Your spiritual influence is a true blessing. Keep it coming!
Blessings always,
Rocky
Post a Comment