Sunday, March 22, 2009

What's in a Name?

In Ephesians 3:14 Paul wrote about bowing before

"the Father, from whom every family in heaven
and on earth is named."


I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God! Hmm . . . that kind of sounds like a line from a song, doesn't it? GRIN! Song or not, I truly AM glad I'm a part of the family of God. Are you? I've been thinking about this verse a lot and how grateful I am to be able to call the great and awesome God who created the world and everything in it, my FATHER! I'm so thankful to have a family relationship with Him that gives me access to Him 24/7/365. What could possibly be more wonderful than that? Oh what a blessed privilege to come to my Heavenly Father knowing that He fully accepts and loves me.

Kay Arthur wrote, "Nothing is more freeing than to know you are loved, unconditionally and forever." Can I hear an AMEN out there? Personally, I can shout a loud "amen" followed by a few thousand "hallelujahs"! In the past couple of years as I have come to know my Father's love in a fresh new awareness, He has set me free. Free to walk in sync with His Spirit. Free to love Him back like I've never known before.

I love the identity my Father gives me to be called by His name. Christian. What a heritage! Do you bear that name too?


Meditating on Eph. 3:14 and bearing my Father's name led me to think about family names. I wasn't named "after" anyone in particular. Were you? Both my first and middle names, Beverly Carol, were simply names my parents liked. I have loved naming my children after other family members and I have truly enjoyed that my daughters have named their children after some of my family members as well. It seems to me that it keeps the family heritage and identity alive for generations to come.









This is my mother, Dolores Arlene Tucker, shortly before she married my father in 1943. Wasn't she a beauty?



















This is her namesake, Dolores Ann Wooley, my first born.

We've always called her Lori. Mother was afraid we might call her "little Dolores" which would by default dub her "big Dolores." LOL! This is Lori's senior picture taken in 1983.








Two of the great loves of my life, John Roy Wooley and John Roy Wooley Jr. in 1971. My sweet hubby has always been called Roy and our son, John.











Above is Roy's sister, Gennett Wooley Hicks. I thought I had a cute childhood photo of her but couldn't find it. Sorry Nette!







And this is her namesake, my baby girl, Lisa Gennett Wooley, when she was 3 yrs. old (1974).




First born granddaughter was named, Mallory McGeary Millsap by her parents, Lori and Dennis.















McGeary was the maiden name of my great grandmother, Laura Mina McGeary Stitt. She is seen here holding my mother in 1924.



I inherited a gold bar pin that belonged to her. It was engraved with her initials "LM." Because Lori 's initials would be LM when she married, she carried the pin as her "something old" when she married Dennis in 1986. I gave Lori the pin on her 40th birthday. I wonder if Mallory will carry it when she marries Mike next January.




















This is Roy's mother, Laura Edith Mills, about the time she married Roy's dad in 1938.










Lisa's firstborn, our second granddaughter, was named for her Mamaw. Hillary Mills Shaw.


















My daddy, Harry Hampton Greenway.
















Lisa's son, our first grandson, John Hampton Shaw.














This is my grandfather, Hallie Marion Tucker.
Granddaddy went by Hal M. Tucker most of his life because he felt both his first and middle names were too feminine.












Lisa's youngest daughter bears his first name. Hallie Jane Davis.









And Lori's youngest daughter bears his last name. Here's our effervescent Margaret Tucker Millsap.









A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.
Proverbs 22:1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Beverly I too will say Amen!! I also enjoyed the family photos and history of their names. I was not named after anyone. I guess my parents just liked my name though I have a very unusual first name. I have only met one person who has that same name - spelled as mine is - Nelta. Of course my middle name, Kay, is so-o-o-o-o common. Have a wonderful week, dear friend!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I loved seeing all the pictures of your kids and grandkids and the ones they were named after! I don't think I was named after anyone in particular. But we have named all our kids after family. Daughter has my mother's middle name and my middle name. First son is named the same as his great grandfather. Youngest son is named for a friend and for my Daddy.

You're doing a great job on the blog Beverly!

Marilyn