SO, my friends, just how appetizing does the above pile of ASHES look to you? Not very appealing? Well, what about if I presented them on a lovely china plate with a silver spoon and linen napkin? Not even then, huh? Yeah, I didn't really think so.But here's what God said to me about ASHES:
He feeds on ashes,
a deluded heart misleads him;
he cannot save himself,
or say "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"
Isaiah 44: 20
When I read that verse earlier this week, the Holy Spirit pierced my heart with the truth of God. I thought about how often I eat unhealthy food. No, I don't think I even ought to call it food. Food has value for nourishing the body. A lot of what I eat has no more nutritional value that that pile of ASHES. Isn't that why our society politely labels it "junk food"? ASHES. I'm eating ASHES. Yuck!
I wouldn't want to dine or even snack on the pile of ashes in that picture. So why do I want to eat "junk"? WHY?? The second phrase of the scripture answers the question. My deluded heart misleads me! My deluded heart tells me that's what I want.
And all the time I'm munching on whatever sugary snack has called my name at the moment, I don't look at it and see what an empty lie it is. Why? Because I'm too focused on my "cravings" instead of the truth that God has wonderful, healthy, life-giving food He wants me to eat instead. ASHES - I've been eating ashes - yuck! Yuck! Yuck! And double YUCK!! Lord, would You please forgive me! Change me, Lord!
Because the Holy Spirit was speaking to me so directly as I read this passage, I personalized the next verse (Isa. 44:21) by inserting my name instead of the words "Jacob" and "Israel." Here's how it and verse 22 read in my bible:
Remember these things, Beverly,
You are my servant.
I have made you ....
I will not forget you.
I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me,
for I have redeemed you.
Isaiah 44:21-22
Oh, my friends, I hope that excites you like it does me! I am SO grateful for God's forgiveness. I am so grateful He sweeps my offenses away like a cloud. I am so grateful He removes my sins like the morning mist. I am so grateful He made me and remembers me and still wants me to serve Him. I am so grateful for His outstretched arms that bid me "return" time and time again. And I am SO grateful for His redemption. His redemption is EVERYTHING!!
Oh, precious Redeemer and friend, replace my deluded heart with a heart that is fully yielded to You and Your truth!
6 comments:
Eating ashes is a good analogy.. You know how we call certain things 'comfort food'? Well, God wants to be our comfort. We don't need any food to take His place. No matter what it is and what emotions it might elicit.
In 42:8 says He will not share His glory. Not with a person, a place, and certainly not a food! This is what I thought of as I read your notes about v 20.
Amy
I am so glad God still calls me by name even though I am prone to eat ashes at times! He is still not ashamed of me even though I am ashamed of myself sometimes.
The evil one is very good at disguising ashes to look appetizing.
I'm not sure I would say this "excites" me....maybe "convicts" would be a better word! :(
Marilyn
The "ashes" part convicted me too Marilyn but the sweeping away my offenses like a cloud and my sins like the morning mist, is what "excites" me. Nothing as sweet as God's forgiveness!!
Where would we be without God's forgiveness?? I don't even want to think about it for me in my life!!
Thanks, Beverly, for your prayers this coming Tues. for Hubs's heart cath. We are just trusting the Lord to fix him like new!!
Appreciate your sweet words!
Have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow!
Post a Comment