Tuesday, May 11, 2010

YOU'RE EXCEPTIONAL - YOU'RE A MEMBER OF CHRIST'S BODY


This is probably one of my all-time favorites in the list of "Who I am in Christ." I LOVE being a part of the body of Christ. I wake up on Sunday mornings excited every single week with the anticipation of going to church and being with other members of the body of Christ.
I LOVE the uniqueness of the people who make up the body of Christ at the local church I attend. We are a diverse group. On any given Sunday I can look around and see:
  • Men. Women
  • Adults. Young. Old.
  • Teenagers. Children. Sweet little babies.
  • Black. White. Hispanic.
  • Wealthy. Middle income. Poor as a church mouse.
  • Educated. Uneducated.
  • Dressed in the latest fashion. Clad in jeans, t-shirt, and flip flops.
  • Executives. Professionals. Blue collar workers. Unemployed. Retired.
  • Mothers. Fathers. Daughters. Sons. Pregnant women. Barren women.
  • Married. Single. Divorced. Widowed.
  • Red-heads. Brunettes. Blondes. Gray-haired (my personal favorite). Bald.
  • Talented singers and musicians. Those who make a joyful off key noise.
  • Free in the Spirit. Bound by legalism.
  • Expressive in worship. Stiff and traditional.
  • Mature saints. Brand new believers. Seekers.
  • Smiling from ear to ear. Looking like they bit a lemon.
  • Southerners. Yankees.
  • Ole Miss fans. Dedicated Dawgs from MSU. Or, heaven forbid, Big Orange fans.
  • Warm and loving. Cool and aloof.
  • Outgoing. Shy.
  • Happy. Joyful. Grieving. Depressed.
  • Secure. Confident. Insecure. Lonely.

Yes, we are a very diverse group. But we have one thing in common: we all love Jesus and have gathered together to worship HIM. And that, my friends, binds us together like nothing else in the world. No matter what we look like, what we have or don't have, or anything else one might use to define who they are; we have this in common - we are each members of the body of Christ. In Him we live - and move - and have our being. We function as one body with HIM as the head. Each member has their own special role to fill.

I remember a business meeting many, many years ago when the topic being addressed seemed to have drawn discussion solely from the men of the church. One dear lady, unable to keep silent another minute, stood and said; "I want ya'll to understand - my husband is the head of our house - but I'm the MOUTH." I still giggle every time I remember it. Yes, girls, we all have our individual roles to fill!

God has not equally distributed gifts, talents or intelligence. But, guess what girlfriends - He has equally distributed HIMSELF! You have just as much of Jesus as that pastor standing in the pulpit. You have just as much of Jesus as that worship leader ministering praise. You have just as much of Jesus as that teacher at the front of your Sunday School class. What God has called you to do as a member of the body of Christ may not be a highly visible role - but it's every bit as important.

Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 12:21-22: "The eye cannot say to the hand, 'I don't need you!' And the head cannot say to the feet, 'I don't need you!' On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor."

Oh, my sweet sisters, there is not one single member of the body of Christ at my church or yours who is unimportant. We all have our special place to fill if the body of Christ is going to function the way He longs for it to function. Take these two things to heart: Realize that YOU have a significant contribution to make in the Body of Christ. Commit yourself to grow in Christlikeness so that your gifts and abilities can be used to edify your church.

I'm so glad I'm a member of Christ's body. I am so thankful for my brothers and sisters in Christ with whom I can share my life. What about you?

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Beautiful Beverly! I,too, am a people watcher! We have most of those same kinds of people in our church that you mention here. All are special.

God bless you!

Marilyn...in Mississippi