Tuesday, September 14, 2010

THE WOLF AT THE DOOR

I might look at this picture and feel awe over what a gorgeous animal this is. I might even feel a certain amount of admiration for his strength, power and freedom.

I might look at this picture and feel a certain tenderness.

I might look at this picture and even feel affection for how winsome babies of any species are.

But I look at THIS picture and all I feel is repulsion. Pure unadulterated horror. Awe and admiration are gone. Affection is replaced with trembling. No winsomeness is to be found.

I think sometimes I may look at my personal ambitions with a certain degree of admiration without even seeing the selfishness that lies at their roots. I think sometimes I may look upon certain proclivities of my personality with affection and not even realize they are outcroppings of pride. I think sometimes my unique shortcomings are so comfortable and familiar I may even find them winsome.

The truth God has spoken to me is that my selfish ambitions, my tolerance of pride, my excuses for shortcomings are ALL like a ravenous wolf waiting to consume anything and everything it can eat. They aren't pretty. They aren't sweet. They aren't admirable. They aren't appealing. I need to see them for exactly how horrific they are instead of petting them, feeding them and inviting them to hang around. They are devouring some of the best things God has in store for me.

The wolf is at my door. How can I get rid of a snarling, hungry wolf? I must make sure he has no food supply. In the wild, when game is scarce, wolves move on to areas where they can find easier and more plentiful prey.

I must quit feeding the wolf at my door. I must quit feeding my selfish ambitions with the approval of man. I must quit feeding my tolerance of pride and see it as the godless affront to a Holy God that it truly is. I must quit feeding my shortcomings with excuses that welcome them to hang around as long as they want.

Lord, help me identify the sources of food that feed my selfishness. Help me deny myself. Help me pick up my cross daily. Help me FOLLOW YOU! (Matt. 16:24)

Get away from my door Hungry Wolf. There's no food for you here!!

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

God just convicted me this very morning about my selfish ambitions!! I need His "ambitions" for my life and not my own selfish desires!!