Psalm 145:5 gives us one way to make sure we stay fresh in our walk with Christ. It's through meditating on all of God's wonderful works.Meditate? Me? You? Who's supposed to meditate? I think believers today sometimes get a little afraid of the term "meditation." We're afraid we'll infringe upon some of the mystical practices of eastern religions. Yet, meditation is clearly taught in God's Word and it applies to every believer today. That means you. That means me. We are meant to meditate.
Eighteen years ago (though it seems only "yesterday") I flew to Alaska to be there for the birth of our third granddaughter. On the flight from Anchorage to Fairbanks, we flew over Denali National Park. I will never forget looking down upon that massive mountain rage (very much like the snow covered mountain in this picture) and being overwhelmed with awe at the majesty of God.
The majesty of His creation spread before my eyes was a vivid reminder of both His might and His eternity. It was impossible to NOT praise Him. I still recall being overwhelmed with awe. I began to praise Him for being The Mighty God - El Gibbor - whose power knows no limits. I praised Him for being The Everlasting Father - Eternal God - whose going forth has been from old - The Ancient of Days. Alone in my seat on that plane, cocooned by the noise of its engines, all other distractions vanished. I had the unparalleled pleasure of meditating upon wonderful works of God that had stood for centuries. I will never forget it.
We may not be able to observe scenes as majestic as the Alaskan mountain range every day; yet EVERY day we are surrounded by the wonders of His majesty. What keeps us from falling to our knees in unhindered worship? What keeps us from meditating on His wonderful works?
In a recent editorial published on another blog the author wrote:
"The constant buzz of TV, movies, magazines, videos, CDs, the radio and the internet is like a million tractor beams hitting me all at once, so that my little starship can never escape to some silent part of the galaxy where I could ponder the stars and the One who made them."
What is it that keeps you from meditating on God's wondrous works? It might be worth some adjustments to your schedule. In fact, I'm certain it would! Meditating on the wonderful works of God will renew your mind so that you can think and act more like Christ.
The next time you settle into your quiet time alone with God, stop. Be still. Listen. Think about what God is like. Think about His majesty. Remember what He has done. Contemplate what He has said. Meditate on His wonderful works!
1 comment:
Glad you wrote about meditation. Our meditation so differs from the mystical because they empty their minds of everything so anything can come in. As Christians we are to focus on God so completely that there isn't room for anything else to come in. I need to meditate more on who He is and His wonderful works!!!
Post a Comment