Tuesday, April 26, 2011

SS lesson: WEEK 5 - FORGIVING HEARTS

For those of you who are keeping up with this study via the blog, I offer my sincerest apologies. Accompanying my mother to Florida delayed my having time to post and then two days after we returned to Tupelo, Mother injured her knee and I needed to attend to her night and day for the next week. Sometimes life just interferes with our best laid plans, doesn't it?

I keep reminding myself about my vow of BWOG (blogging without guilt) but it doesn't always work. Especially when I feel I'm letting others down. Still, taking care of Mom HAS to be my priority right now and it is a blessing to be able to serve her. She's still needing considerable help so I'm only posting the answers to the blanks on the listening guide for each lesson and won't be able to write commentary. Sorry about that. The precious Holy Spirit, however, is a teacher FAR superior to me, and I trust that He has taught you as you've worked on the daily questions written for each lesson. He is SO faithful to apply God's Word to our lives and hearts where it is needed!

Here are the answers for the listening guide on page 43 of your workbook:



GOD'S MERCY:

Mercy is one of the spiritual bridges God has built so that He can relate to you and me.

Mercy is a bridge you and I must build if we are going to relate lovingly to others.

MERCY and the CROSS:

It is the cross that makes mercy available to us and through us.

We must never extend mercy on the basis of our own spirituality but rather on the basis of His finished sacrifice.

If the mercy we show bypasses the cross, then it also bypasses truth and righteousness, and it can never lead to peace.

EXPERIENCING MERCY:

Three essential requirements -

(1) salvation

(2) submission

(3) suffering

EXTENDING MERCY TO OTHERS:

Jesus does not ask us to extend mercy occasionally; He is asking us to be constant channels of mercy.

When we show mercy, He gives mercy, and thus we have more mercy to show.

The world cannot see mercy apart from the people who experience it and share it.

No comments: