Tuesday, December 20, 2011

GIFTS

The Christmas tree never looks complete to me until there are gifts piled beneath it. I'm one of those wierd people who love to wrap gifts. I love the beautiful papers. I love smoothing them over the boxes and making nice crisp corners. AND - I'm one of those boring purists that loves the bright red and green of Christmas. No burgandy and hunter green for me. No turquosie and brown combos. No hot pink and purple. No black and silver - or what ever this year's popular trend is dictating. For me, it's bright red. Christmas red. And. Bright green. Christmas green.

And. Yes. I recycle bows from one year to the next. The last few years I've been kind of stuck on these curly bows - I love the way they spread and drape whimsically and sometimes spill their beauty from one gift to the next. No boxes with a single little bow stuck in the middle for me. They must have ribbons wrapped around the sides. I love playing with the beautiful ribbons almost as much as the fancy papers. In years past (when I didn't live on the "fixed income" of the "retired") and had a bit more freedom financially, I loved using real fabric ribbons and making my own full fluffy fancy bows.

I love giving gifts. Actually, in past years, I have dearly loved lavishing gifts on those I love - giving them things they might not have been able to afford themselves. But that blessing too has changed with time. No longer are any of my children young adults just starting out in life. Today, all our children are financially secure enough to be able to afford for themselves pretty much whatever they desire. Today, our children's financial means exceed our own. So - our gifts have evolved into the "it's the thought that counts" category. But, oh what joy and blessing there is in that.

The ultimate fun of gift-giving to me, however, is the smile on my loved ones faces when they receive a gift they love. To me, it's the very best part of watching my children and grandchildren open all the bright boxes I had so much fun wrapping. Don't we all want to please those we are giving to? Isn't our objective in giving to bring them joy?

Sunday afternoon our family was talking about gifts - nativity sets - and all things Christmas. I commented that though we place the Wisemen at the manger in our nativity scenes, in all probability, Jesus was nearly two years old by the time the Magi came to Him and was a toddler in a house - not a baby in the manger. My daughter (ever the consumate comic) quipped, "then why did they bring gold, frankincense and myrrh? Why didn't they bring Legos or something a toddler would really like?" LOL

Of course, we know that the gold, frankincense and myrrh were valuable commodities at the time of Jesus. The Magi presenting this kind of wealth to a humble carpenter, his wife and special child were part of God's sovereign plan. In all probability, these gifts were needed to finance Mary and Joseph's sojourn in Egypt.

Beyond the practical financial provision, however, think with me about the significance of these gifts. Gold was the world's most precious mineral commodity. It was the universal symbol of wealth and a gift customarily presented to kings. Now, it was laid in worship at the feet of this tiny King of Kings.

Frankincense was a fragrant gum resin that was the main ingredient of the incense burned by the priesthood in the Temple. Frankincense was set before the Holy of Holies with the Bread of the Presence.

Myrrh was an orange colored resin that was used in cosmetics and perfumes. It also served as a pain-killer and an embalming substance. Myrrh was an important ingredient of the sacred anointing oil described in Exodus.

These gifts of the Wisemen had meaning beyond their physical value. They foretold that Jesus' life would be royal, anointed, holy, close to God; yet one of suffering and death.

The Wisemen didn't search for Jesus for what they could receive from Him. They came to WORSHIP Him. In worship, their hearts were moved to pour out gifts before Him. As an act of worship, they opened the storehouse of their wealth and lavished their love upon Him from the bounty of their possessions.

This makes me wonder about us as believers today - you and me. Do we seek Jesus for what we can receive from Him? He has provided ALL spiritual blessings for us. He loves to lavish those gifts (blessings) upon His children. But. Are those blessings why we seek Him - OR - do we come, as the Wisemen did; simply to worship HIM?

If we are worshiping Him for Who He is - then, like the Wisemen, won't our hearts will be moved to pour gifts from our personal bounty out before Him? What gifts will we give Him?

Here are a few gifts I believe would be sure to bring a smile to His face:


  • Our investment (and it doesn't have to be financial) in a ministry which teaches men and women, boys and girls about His kingdom.

  • Our forgiveness directed toward someone who has hurt us.

  • Our pursuit of peace and unity with brothers and sisters in Christ.

  • Lips which are quick to praise and slow to criticize.

  • A renewed commitment to spend daily quality time with Him in personal devotions.

  • Our using the opportunities He gives us to witness to someone who does not know Him personally.

  • A prayer ministry wrapped in compassion and concern for others.


Those a just a few suggestions. I'm sure you can think of a lot more. Ask Jesus what He wants. He'll tell you. The things He most desires most may or may not take money out of your wallet. But the gifts we are moved to offer Him in worship are not cheap. They demand time and, often, the treasures of our hearts. But their unwrapping will bring joy to the face of a king - King Jesus!

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Loved the post!! Your tree (I know it is only 1 of many!) is beautiful!! Merry Christmas to you and your family!! Love you!