Monday, December 12, 2011

O LITTLE TOWN

But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times. Micah 5:2

My visit to Bethlehem, some eleven plus years ago, was a day of contrasts - disappointment coupled with delight. All week long I had saved the little souvenir money I'd brought to spend it in Bethlehem where the best olive wood artisans were said to be located. Arriving at the shoppe, ours was the THIRD in a line of tour buses and the shoppe was so crowded that browsing and buying was almost impossible. Disappointment.

On the walk to Manger Square I was accosted by a street vendor hawking his wares - very cheap and gaudy jewelry that looked more Aztec than Israeli. When I politely refused to buy any, he singled me out and loudly began accusing me of being prejudiced against Palestinians. It was the most "uncomfortable" moment I had the entire time I was in Israel and almost made me afraid NOT to buy from the next vendor that pushed his wares at me.

At the Church of the Nativity I waited in a long line for nearly two hours to descend into the grotto where Christ was supposedly born. This is what marks His "birthplace."

A marble and silver shrine! Nothing even vaguely reminiscent of the humble manger where Mary laid the Son of God wrapped only in His swaddling cloths. Disappointment. For me - MAJOR disappointment. I'm not sure what I expected - but, it wasn't this!


And then, at last - delight! We arrived at the Shepherd's Fields on the outskirts of town. We looked into surrounding caves blackened with soot where Bethlehem's shepherds have sought shelter and warmth over the centuries.Our group shared a sweet devotional time under a canopy overlooking these very fields - a place seemingly untouched by the tourism industry that has tainted so many holy places in Israel. Could this be the place Jacob and his family were passing through when Rachel died giving birth to Benjamin? Could one of those fields in the distance have belonged to Boaz and been the place he first saw Ruth as she gleaned what she could find for Naomi and herself? Is this where David tended Jesse's sheep and sang his songs of worship to God? Could the path that Joseph and Mary fled to Egypt have wound through this very field?


This place gave meaning to "O little town of Bethlehem ... how still we see thee lie ..." My heart was full. Delight. Delight for all the things God has been in this place down through the countless years. Delight that He would allow my eyes to see it. Delight that He would allow my spirit to witness the Bible stories of old played out against this backdrop.


I wonder, my sweet sisters, have you been to Bethlehem this Christmas? No. I don't mean in person. I'm talking about "in spirit."


Bethlehem means "house of bread" and provided the birthplace for the "Bread of Life." Have you partaken of Him this Christmas? Among all the parties and gatherings of the season, have you taken time to feast at HIS table?


When Christ was born in Bethlehem, an angelic choir directed the shepherds who watched their flocks, perhaps in these very fields, to Bethlehem where He would be found. Despite their duty to watch sheep, the shepherds hurried to witness the miracle of God's grace to man. Their work did not suffocate their passionate desire to see the Savior. I wonder. Have you and I allowed the demands of our work . . . decorating our homes, shopping for the perfect gifts for our families, and fellowshiping with friends to suffocate our desire for Jesus?


Herod inquired of the chief priest and scribes where the Messiah was to be born. He was told that Bethlehem was the place. But neither Herod nor his advisors went to Bethlehem in search of Him. Instead, he sent the Magi to discover the Deliverer's whereabouts rather than going himself. He knew about Bethlehem. Yet, he never witnessed Jesus for himself.


Will you go to Bethlehem this Christmas? Will you be like the shepherds and make time to worship Him despite the work that awaits you? Or will you be like Herod and know where to find Him but somehow not make your way to where He is? The Bread of Life awaits to satisfy you with the richest of fares.


For He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness. Psalm 107:9

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Great post! Brought back many memories from that wonderful trip and reminded once again why we celebrate Christmas.