Sunday, April 15, 2012

GOOD MORNING, ABBA.

What is it about writing "Good Morning, Abba" as I begin my journal each day that makes me feel like a very small child? Let's just be blunt right from the start, okay? I am no longer a very small child. Not only am I all grown up, I will be SIXTY-SEVEN years old this summer. My hair has turned gray. Laugh lines on my face have become deep wrinkles. My skin reminds me of the children's story "The Saggy Baggy Elephant." My hands have ugly brown age spots and prominent veins. Medicare provides most of my medical insurance. I have become what the world calls "elderly."

Yet, when I step into my Heavenly Father's presence each morning and say to Him, "Good morning, Abba," I feel just like the little girl in this picture (one of my all-time favorites!).

I feel like the curly haired little girl I once was running straight into my father's arms and finding them open and available. I feel those arms wrap around me and hold me close. I feel them lift me up and carry me on a strength beyond my own. I feel safe. I feel secure. I feel significant.

And.

I feel small. The Abba I greet each morning is not just my "daddy." He is the KING. He let me worship Him this morning through a song of love written by the sons of Korah - Psalm 45. May I share a few of the thoughts with you? Will you worship Him too?


My Abba, the King is fairer than the sons of men. Grace pours from His lips. (v.2) He is THE Mighty One with His sword girded upon His thigh with glory and majesty. (v.3) He rides in absolute majesty because of His truth and righteousness. He teaches me awesome things. (v.4) All people are subject to my Abba. (v.5) His throne is forever and ever and the scepter of righteousness is the scepter of His kingdom. (v.6) My Abba loves righteousness and hates wickedness. Oh, how He has filled me with the oil of gladness!! (v.7) He provides for me out of ivory palaces. (v.8) Oh, rejoice in that wondrous thought my soul - my Savior left those ivory palaces to show me the Father's love and draw me to Him! I am a daughter of the King. (v.9) I can forget all else and incline my ear to hear His voice. (v.10) My Abba thinks I am beautiful. (v.11) OH - how I worship HIM!!


There is a bond between fathers and daughters that is eternal. Forever - no matter how old we are - there is something within us that keeps us "Daddy's little girl." I was blessed to have an earthly father who loved me so unconditionally it made it easy for me to understand my Heavenly Father's love. I know that many women have not had that kind of a father's love growing up. I do not take it for granted. I am awestruck with gratitude for the spiritual heritage God has graciously given me. I am blessed beyond all measure. I don't understand it. But I am grateful. SO grateful! This is only one of many photographs I have of being securely held in my father's arms. If ever a father has wanted, enjoyed and adored a daughter, my earthly father, Harry Greenway, was that man. I have never for a single moment of my life had to doubt my daddy's love.
Each morning, as I come into my Abba's presence, I experience again that sense of belonging - That place of acceptance - that "fullness of joy" that I experienced as a little girl in my daddy's arms. And. Each morning I am grateful. More grateful than I even know how to express. Verse 1 of Psalm 45 says "my tongue is the pen of a ready writer." Most days I only WISH that were true. Most days I find myself at a complete loss for words that seem adequate to tell my Abba what He means to me. Most days my heart is simply overflowing.


THIS day, my heart echoes the last verse (v.17) of Psalm 45 as its earnest petition. Oh my precious Abba, I want to make Your name remembered in all generations so that people will praise You forever and ever.

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I've had several moments just this week when I've looked up and asked my Abba Father to just hold me close in His arms! As I read your post today I read most of it with my hand raised in praise and tears in my eyes just thinking about what a wonderful God we have! What a Saviour! What love!