![]() |
| Nancy Ellen Greenway born February 21, 1938 |
She was the youngest of six children born to Arlie Thomas Greenway who worked for the Seaboard Railroad as a line foreman throughout the week and pastored a Pentecostal Holiness Church on the weekends. Her mother, Mattie Mae Davis Greenway, was already a grandmother by the time Nancy arrived. Her sister, Nelle, was 12 years her senior and my father, Harry, was 15 years older than this baby sister. She's pictured below with my dad and two of her NIECES who were older than her - Uncle Dan's daughter, Doris and Uncle Al's daughter, Ollie Mae.
This is Nancy with my cousin Lois Hanson in 1943.
| Big Daddy with his girls. |
Aunt Nancy was seven when I was born. The picture with the big bonnet was my first Easter 1946.
| Nancy and Nelle with my brother and me 1949. |
My daddy adored his little sister 'til the day he died!
The High School Years and the love of her life
Their high school graduation and Senior Prom
July 1, 1955 Mr. and Mrs. Dale Morgan Dotson
MOTHERHOOD - Dale Jr. in 1958 and Russell in 1962
THE 70'S
Summer of 1975 we visited them in Clearwater
Lisa still remembers Russ promising to hold her hand because she was afraid of the ocean!
THE 80'S
The Greenway siblings - 1980 above and 1981 below
January 1986 - at my daddy's house after his funeral - Hickory, NC
Greenway Family Reunion @ Aunt Nelle's - Dec 1986
The last three of the six siblings. Uncle Al died Nov. 1984, Daddy in Jan 1986 and Uncle Dan nine months later in Sept 1986.
Aunt Nancy (above) and her grandchildren (below) with my first grandchild, Mallory, in July 1989.
THE 90'S
Nancy & Dale's third grandchild, Christopher.
Uncle Dale with Chris and my granddaughter, Hillary.
On any given year of the 57 years Nancy and Dale were married you can find a picture like this one in the family photo albums. They were their happiest when the other was within arm's reach. They were one another's dearest friend and confident. And. LOVERS. OMG - as my daughter pointed out to me, they didn't simply "love" each other - they stayed "IN LOVE" with each other!
September 2000 - the Florida Family came to Tupelo for Lisa & Keith's wedding.
Summer 2001 I got to spend TWO WEEKS in Florida - a week with each aunt! JOY!!
In 2003, with Madison in tow, the Aunts and their handsome chauffer visited Tupelo to meet the twins.
And later that summer we paid them a visit on the way to Disney World.
It was a RARE treat to get to see them twice in one year!
Nancy was never happier than when she had a lap full of babies!
March 2008 - A very special visit with my VERY SPECIAL AUNTS!!
2008 was a rough year for Nancy health-wise and I am SO thankful we had this time.
Her grandson, Dan, took this snapshot right before we went out to dinner one night. It's one of my favorites and a copy of it has been on my fridge for the past 5 years!
2010 Nancy's first GREAT Grandchild, Layla, was born. Aunt Nancy worked very hard at getting well enough to make the trip to Georgia to see her.
April 2011 - the last time we were together.
My precious Aunt Nancy passed away on Feb 27 less than a week after her 75th birthday.
Tomorrow there will be a memorial for her at a beautiful park in Ormand Beach.
I can't be there. It's just as well. I can't tell her good-bye anyway.
I rejoice in the wonderful memories I have of times with her that were ALWAYS filled with abundant love and laughter. I am grateful for the practical wisdom she spoke into my life over the years. I know that I am a better person today because of the things she taught me and the way she loved me.
I will hold her in my heart FOREVER.


























































3 comments:
Thank you Bev, I appreciate the rememberances. I am sorry you can't come. Even surrounded by family I will miss your hug tomorrow almost as much as I will Moms.
Give our love and hugs to everyone.
Russ
Such a nice tribute to Aunt Nancy!! Loved seeing all of the pictures!!
Thank you Cousin Bev for posting all the photos of Nancy and the Greenway family. I really enjoy looking at them. Hiram
29 6
Post a Comment