Next time you check the blog to see if there are any new posts and find yourself disappointed (again!) don't even "wonder" where I am. Just know that I'm outside digging in the dirt - and loving it. Of course, as soon as it warms up a little more, the flower beds will have some serious competition from the new swimming pool at my daughter's house. GRIN! (Don't even TRY imagining me in a bathing suit! YUCK! Does "The Saggy Baggy Elephant" conjure any images for you??? Mercifully, my grandchildren are the only ones I swim with - and they love me anyway.)
It has been a week today since I worked through the Day 14 devotional in my journal . . . where has the time gone??
Day 14 - OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF
Read: Judges 4:1-5:31
Focal passage:
One day [Deborah] sent for Barak son of Abinoam . . . She said to him, "This is what the Lord, the God of Israel commands you: Assemble ten thousand warriors from the tribes of Naphtali and Zebulun at Mount Tabor. I will lure Sisera, commander of Jabin's army, along with his chariots and warriors, to the Kishon River. There I will give you victory over him."
Barak told her, "I will go, but only if you go with me!"
"Very well," she replied, "I will go with you. But since you have made this choice, you will receive no honor. For the Lord's victory over Sisera will be at the hands of a woman." Judges 4:6-9
Throughout the history of the nation of Israel, God's people have always faced formidable foes. But they, also, have always had a mighty God able to defend His people and deal defeat to their enemies. In the passage we read in this devotional, God chose women to do the job! How cool is that? Well, I suppose some women would consider it cool. Others of us might think - "no way .. wouldn't want that job!" Women rulers in Deborah's time may not have been the norm in Israel but aren't you impressed with the leadership abilities she exemplified and the respect she earned from her peers. Shannon Ethridge suggests that Deborah "may have had the role of prophetess and judge because of a shortage of willing and able men." (p.58) I prefer to think that God raised up Deborah just as He did Esther "for such a time as this."
Deborah may have had the leadership responsibility, but clearly, she knew Who her Commander-in-Chief was and was obedient to carry out His battle plans. Barak, in contrast, by his unwillingness to go as Deborah told him the Lord had instructed, demonstrated that he did not have the same degree of faith in God that Deborah did. His actions indicate that his confidence may have lacked because his personal commitment lacked. Perhaps his faith was not anchored in his God, but in Deborah's God.
Deborah helped Barak rally the troops and ready them for battle. She knew her Commander-in-Chief was trustworthy and reliable and her confidence in Him inspired the soldiers as they faced unfavorable odds in the conflict. Israel's army, under the leadership of Deborah and Barak, crushed the enemy in the battle. Only Sisera escaped. Of course, a battle wasn't considered complete until the leaders were captured or killed. In fulfillment of the prophesy spoken by Deborah, God raised up another woman "for such a time as this" and Sisera was killed at the hands of Jael.
HOLDING HIS HAND:
(1) If God can equip and empower Deborah and Jael to give the Israelite army victory over their oppressors, can he equip and empower me for victory as well?
Absolutely! He hasn't changed. He was Deborah's Commander-in-Chief those many years ago and He is OUR Commander-in-Chief today. In His sovereign knowledge He sees the full picture that we don't see. He stands ready to lead us either into battle or away from battle.
(2) What are some of the biggest battles I face in life?
For most of us, the battle changes from day to day. I battled depression for YEARS. And, trust me, it wasn't just a BATTLE - it was all out WAR. I fought against it daily - and I fought hard. And I've got some scars to prove it.
I battle food addictions. I battle behavioral issues like perfectionism. I'm victorious in some of the battles and I lose a few . . . and, again, I've got scars to prove it.
I battle my own flesh when dying to self and obeying God is tough. Sometimes yielding my will to His will is a battle that's hard to fight.
Last week, I battled believing God on an issue He'd spoken clearly to me about because my enemy, the father of all lies, kept disputing and distorting what God had said.
There are lots of battles in our lives. But the underlying constant that keeps me in the fight is this: I know God loves me and will contend with those who contend with me. I know He is trustworthy. I know He will lead me through the battle or lift me out of it because He is my fully dependable Commander-in-Chief.
(3) Have I turned these battles over to Him and invited Him to be my Commander-in-Chief?
Yes. I am learning to do this quicker than I used to . . . to not get caught up in the skirmish and find myself bandaging wounds before I turn to Him and listen to His instructions.
2 comments:
I was wondering if you were still sick with a cold. Glad to hear you're able to get out and work in the flowers!
Thanks for a great post today! I sometimes forget WHO it is that is fighting my battles for me! Thanks for the reminder!
God bless you....
Marilyn
Thanks for being so transparent in your posts!
1. Can God equip/empower me? Yes. I think I am afraid though that he will equip me through failure first and that sometimes scares me to take the risk. But even then, He has the victory in that battle that may seem like a failure because He has a plan and is soveriegn.
2. My battles? Control idols such as communicating with others often stresses me because I trust my skills as a communicator rather than God. Pleasure idols such as wasting time-I don't always use my time so well.
3. Have I turned my battles to Him? I think in many of my battles I am still relying in myself and the approval of people and unwilling to die to myself. -Amber
Post a Comment