Read: Numbers 27:1-11; 36
Focal passage:
So Moses brought their case before the Lord. And the Lord replied to Moses, "The daughters of Zelophehad are right. You must give them an inheritance of land along with their father's relatives. Assign them the property that would have been given to their father." Numbers 27:5-7
I think it's important for us to note that even though these five women were asking for a privilege never before given to women, they went through the proper channels in their pursuit of their goal. Their plea finally reached the highest authority in Israel and Moses, in wisdom and discernment, turned to God for guidance in what was definitely a complicated matter.
The Lord not only told Moses to grant their request but went above and beyond what they were asking. They asked for land but they were also granted a hereditary possession of that land. Not only could they live on the land but they could bequeath it to their heirs as well. How like our wonderful loving Heavenly Father! Can you even begin to count the number of times you have asked Him for something and He answered "exceedingly abundantly above all you asked or thought"? (Eph. 3:20) I can't!
Zel's daughters fought for a noble cause and won, because God was their advocate. Is there a "cause" or a battle in your life for which you need an advocate? On p.55 Shannon Ethridge points out that Psalm 37:3-6 tells us who our greatest Advocate is and how we gain His help. The NIV words it this way:
Trust in the Lord and do good:
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
(Can I remind you that sometimes the safest pastures have fences around them? Think about that for a minute.)Delight yourself in the Lord
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
(Make getting to KNOW Him your determined purpose - Phil. 3:10 AMPExperience great joy in His presence!)
Commit your way (all you have and do) to the Lord;
trust in Him and he will do this:
(Do you commit your way to Him - entrusting EVERYTHING to His control and guidance or [GULP] do you just inform Him of your plans?)This is what He will do when you trust Him, do good, delight in Him, and commit your way to Him:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Did you catch that phrase in verse 6 - "the justice of your cause"? He is YOUR ALMIGHTY ADVOCATE! When you trust HIM - not your own strength - victory is inevitable!
HOLDING HIS HAND:
(1) Do I have the courage and conviction to fight for causes that I consider just?
At first, I wasn't sure how to answer this question. I'm not much of a crusader - especially not for social injustices. I'm too non-confrontational for my own good, sometimes.
But then, God reminded me of a time some years ago when I took a very determined stand on behalf of a couple of women in our church who were being unjustly maligned. It was a difficult time because the stand I took placed me, on several occasions, in direct opposition to some prominent church leaders.
So, to answer the question; I guess I have to say "no" - I don't have courage and conviction to fight for causes I consider just. But, at the same time, I have to say "yes" - I DO have the courage and conviction to fight for causes God considers just. The difference being: When I am called to fight for what HE wants - not just something I consider important - then HE fills me with the courage and conviction to do His bidding no matter who that means I must confront.
(2) Do I consider God my adversary or my advocate?
Oh my! I don't "consider" God my advocate - I KNOW HE IS!!! He demonstrated that so powerfully in the above situation! Oh, how I wish I could share with you some of the ways He moved in that situation. He used someone I'd have never dreamed He'd use to resolve the cause. What a testimony of His sovereignty. What a testimony of His incomparable might as our Advocate!
(3) What do my answers tell me about my belief in God? about my belief in myself as God's child?
I believe that justice is a vital part of God's nature. He is righteous and true. He is just and His cause will always be defended. I believe He will use me to stand for His righteous causes. When HE calls me into the battle, He will infuse me with the strength, courage and conviction I need. My trust is in HIM - not myself.
2 comments:
You're so right....when we do something for God, it's really HIM doing it through and for us because He remembers we are "only dust".
Good thoughts today.....
God bless you....
Your friend --Marilyn
1. Courage and Conviction? I have in the past, but haven't recently. I guess as I right this now my daughter is crying, but I have the conviction that what I am doing is right for her, so I am letting her cry for a few minutes even though it is hard.
2. God my adversary or advocate? I have felt both-He was my advocate in that he was trustworthy and had a plan. I felt He was my adversary because He didn't always soften the hearts of people that I thought He should soften.
3. What does this tell me? I do believe God is sovereign, but also a great mystery. His plan and thoughts are not mine. I have felt like a confused child who should respect what the parent wishes even though I don't understand it. -Amber
Post a Comment