Friday, April 10, 2009

From Sonnets to Bonnets

Years ago there was a western series on television about a family of three gunslingers. It was called The Guns of Will Sonnet. Walter Brennan played the grandfather and patriarch gunslinger, Will Sonnet. Dack Rambo portrayed his grandson whose prowess with a six-shooter was unequaled. When people would comment on his phenomenal speed and accuracy or otherwise be impressed by his expertise, he would say – "I’m good. My father’s better. And my grandfather is better than BOTH of us." It was one of my husband’s favorite television programs and I usually watched it with him. I’m not a big fan of westerns but, let’s face it girls, Dack Rambo was pretty durn cute!


When I was a young mom and people would comment on some outfit I’d sewn for my children, Roy would always interject the line from that show. He’d say, "She sews good. But her mother is better. And her grandmother is better than both of them." There was a lot of truth in that! My mother taught me to sew and home ec classes at school honed the skill. Her mother taught her to sew. And if you read the comment by my cousin, Lois, to yesterday’s post, you know that Grandmother’s mother taught her to sew.


I’ve spent a lot of time recently remembering so much of my heritage and looking at old pictures, and I’m drawn to how many Easters of my life involved home made clothing. I don’t believe I ever had a "store bought" dress for Easter until after I was married. My mother recalls one year when she was too busy too make me a dress. She took me shopping and says that I opted to do without a new dress rather than have one off the rack that didn’t fit me like the ones she made. Anybody agree that I was a pretty "spoiled" little girl? GRIN


This first picture is of my Grandmother Tucker, our matriarch seamstress, with her two youngest children, my mother and my Uncle Leonard. I'm not sure this photo was actually an Easter picture but it sure looks like it could have been. I'm guessing it was taken around 1928 because my mother looks to be about 4 years old and Uncle Leonard about 6. I am quite certain both the dresses and coats she and her mother are wearing were made by her mother.

Here are some Easter pictures through the years that show my mother's talent with a needle and thread (and a sewing machine, of course).


My first Easter. 1946. How's that for a BONNET???


1948.

1949



1951. Wasn't my little brother a cutie?





The whole family. 1955





1956.





1957








All the other dresses were made by my mother. This one, Grandmother Tucker made. This photo of my brother and I was taken outside her little house on historic St. George Street in St. Augustine while I was home from college for Easter break, 1964.

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands
In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She is clothed with strength and dignity ...
Her children arise, and call her blessed.
Proverbs 31: 13, 19, 21, 25, 28




2 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Loved looking at you in your Easter finery down through the years! I wonder if young women today will ever want to learn to sew again? I noticed an advertisement for sewing machines the other day on TV during the news. They were touting the fact that you could make nicer, more affordable clothes if you sew your own. Who knows? Maybe it will catch on again! I know I have sure made my share of Easter dresses and everything else! I loved sewing. Just can't sit and make things like I once could though. My back nor my eyes are what they once were!

Thanks for the memories!

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Well, dear friend, I have to share a memory of Easters past. If my memory serves me well, you were often up until all hours of the night on Saturday night finishing those precious outfits you made for your children. I couldn't imagine how stressed I would have been if mine had not been finished by the week before Easter, at least. I always marveled at how easily you did that! Part of our friendship, which began many years ago, had to do with our love for sewing and of course, our love for the Lord. I do believe in looking back that those two things were the main things that drew us together in friendship. And, of course, your were an answer to my cry to God for a godly, Christian friend! Love, Kay