Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Where is Christ's Bride?

Our oldest granddaughter is getting married in a few months and I'm working on sewing some beading around the outer edge of her bridal veil. That makes it real easy for thoughts of "brides" to fill my mind.



This is Mary Elberta Stitt, my grandmother, when she married my grandfather, Hal M. Tucker in 1917. No veil for her. But, oh that thick head of hair. It was long enough when she unrolled the bun in the back that she could SIT on it!

My mother, Dolores Arlene Tucker, on her wedding day in 1943.

Yours truly, Beverly Carol Greenway, when I married the indomitable Roy Wooley in 1964. How do you like the Jackie Kennedy inspired "pill box" hat that held my veil? It was the 60's, folks!


This is my oldest daughter, Lori, when she married in 1986.


And this is my baby girl, Lisa, when she married (way too young!) in 1990.

For some of us memories of being a bride are happy memories that we cherish. For others, they are not. For some, a marriage that began with great promise ended, for any multitude of reasons, with vows unkept and covenants broken.

I wonder what it means to you that the Bible refers to those of us, who as believers constitute the church, as brides of Christ? A great deal of scripture portrays Jesus as the bridegroom and encourages us as His bride to make ourselves ready.

Isaiah wrote:
For your Maker is your husband, the LORD of hosts is his name...(Isaiah 54:5)

I wonder if you, like I have at times, have gotten so caught up in the world and the busyness of life that you have all but forgotten your Bridegroom? Can you picture God standing at an open door today asking, "Where is my Bride? Why doesn't she come into the quiet place of prayer and spend time with me?" Christ may be the only bridegroom I've ever known whose bride hardly speaks to him.

Would you like to stop right now and tell Him you are sorry for being so attracted to and distracted by other things? Gently whisper your apology. He'll hear you. And you will find His arms of forgiveness wide open.

Would you like to renew your vows? Fill in the blank(s) with your name and read your vow aloud to Jesus. Slowly. Deliberately.

I, __________, take You, Jesus, to be my lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward. I pledge before God and all the heavenly witnesses to be Your loving and faithful Bride. I will love and honor You, cherish and obey You, and forsaking all others, I will keep myself totally for You, Jesus. In plenty and want, in joy and sorrow, in sickness and in health, through adversity or suffering, I will trust You. I give my whole heart to You, Lord, in token and pledge of my constant faith and abiding love.

Now read aloud what your Groom, the Lord Jesus, pledges to you.

I, Jesus, take you, __________, to be My chosen wedded Bride, to have and to hold you from eternity past and forever. I have formed you and called you out of darkness. I bought You with My life, and I have fulfilled the law for you. I am preparing a place for you, that where I am, you may be also. I will never leave you or forsake you. Call unto Me and I will answer you. I will always be a shield about you. I have given you My name and all authority to use it. You are my beloved. My blood I give for you, in token and pledge of My constant devotion to you.

Oh, my sweet sisters, HE is the only One Who is truly the LOVE of our lives! Enjoy Him today!

[above vows are taken from: 40 Days Beyond the Veil, by Alice Smith, Regal Books, 2003]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just does not belong" - remember that song from Sesame Street? Too funny how you, Lori, and Grandmother all look so much alike and then there is ME! LOL So funny!!! Love you mama!!!!

Anonymous said...

Loved the brides' pictures and also your post. Gave me something to ponder on and a few questions to ask myself.

Thanks dear friend, Kay