Saturday, November 14, 2009

COMPUTER CATASTROPHE

For those of you not on Facebook (all two of you in the western hemisphere) - here's my not so glorious announcement.

My computer contracted a Trojan virus on Thursday evening. Resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful. Within moments the operating system fell victim and quickly and fatally expired.

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions that are now flitting through your mind:
  • YES, we had virus protection in place (McAfee).
  • NO, I had not installed McAffee's latest updates.
  • YES, I understand that is stupid. EXTREMELY stupid.
  • YES, we took the computer to the experts immediately (Geek Squad).
  • NO, they were not able to affect any repair.
  • NO, they were not even able to retrieve any data from the hard drive.
  • NO, I did not have current backups of my files.
  • YES, I understand that is BEYOND stupid ... I just can't think of a "word" severe enough for it.
  • YES, I lost all manner of files that were important to me - documents, pictures, genealogy research, etc. Plus - a few programs (like PictureIt!) that I really enjoyed and no longer have the installation discs for.
  • YES, I will gratefully accept all expressions of sympathy.
  • NO, I do not need you to tell me how stupid I am not to have had backups. I have done that for myself quite thoroughly. Hold those comments if you don't mind. I have cried enough.
  • YES, we bought a new computer - obviously.
  • NO, I am not having fun getting it set up. I am OLD, people! I function best in the realm of the familiar. Computer set up does not fall in that category for me. My knowledge of computer technology would ALMOST fill a thimble!
  • YES, I wish one of my kids was nearby. All three of my sweet (adult) children are extremely computer savvy and have always set up anything I needed computer-wise and shown me how to use it. I'm spoiled as well as illiterate. Problem is - right now my kids are in North Carolina, Ohio and Canada! (Note to Lori, John and Lisa: I wish you were here to help but that comment's NOT meant for a guilt trip - so don't pick up that bag! Yo momma luvs you!)

Okay - that's enough whining. I'm fixing to go get in the WORD and let the Holy Spirit give me an ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT. Goodness knows, I NEED one!

3 comments:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

I am so sorry!!! I can only imagine what a nightmare you have been going through. You WILL get through this with flying colors! Love you,
Kay

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I'm ONE of those people who is NOT on facebook....wonder who the other one is??? ha ha I've been told that my SLOW dial-up internet will not support Facebook. A friend with dial-up tried it and said that it just would not load up for her.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your computer crash! What do we need to do to keep that from happening to us? Did you find out where you got infected??

I have not been active on the computer for a couple of weeks or more because of my step mother being sick and then passing away this week. Hope to get back in a pattern of blogging soon.

Love ya,
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ms. Beverly..........I can "sorta" imagine what you are going through except our home got visited by an unwelcomed guest - and our laptop with our photos was on it so....I can sympathize with you to some degree except I let my tech savvy hubby do all the re- setting up on the new one!! Oh, by the way, the WII Fit went along with our unwelcome intruder - a new excuse NOT to exercise!! Hahaha - except the Lord sent beautiful weather!! Gotta laugh!! Love Ya! Jona Rae