November 27, 1964Forty-five years ago today Roy and I were married at Palmer Baptist Church in Ripley, Mississippi. My Bible professor from Blue Mountain College, Dr. James L. Travis performed the ceremony before a small gathering of family and friends. His sweet wife, Lucille, played the piano for us. My college roommate, Jeann Kennedy (Camp), was my maid of honor. Roy's best man was his life-long best friend, Jerry Newcomb.
We entered the realm of marriage the same way most newly weds do ... all starry-eyed and thinking we knew all there was to know about love. Me, a spoiled little city girl from Florida. Roy, a bona-fide country boy from Mississippi. As different as night and day!
If I'd known then what I know today, would I have made the same choice? You better believe it!!
Next to inviting Jesus to be my Savior, deciding I wanted to be Mrs. Roy Wooley was the best decision I've ever made.
When I asked Jesus to save me and become Lord of my life, I was only 8 years old. I was a care-free little third grade girl with very little responsibility in life and limited understanding. I didn't know Jesus then the way I know Him today. I didn't know myself then the way I do today. I only knew that I committed as much of myself as I understood to as much of Jesus as I understood. Over the years, I've grown in my knowledge of Him ... and of myself. Today, at 64 years old, I am STILL growing in my knowledge of Him ... and of myself. And this I can honestly say, "I love Him better every day."
When I stood at the front of that little church as a 19 year old bride, looked into Roy Wooley's eyes, and repeated my vows I was still a naive little girl with little responsibility and limited understanding. I didn't know Roy then the way I know him today. I didn't know myself then the way I do today. But, on that day, I committed as much of myself as I understood to as much of Roy as I understood. Over the years, I've grown in my knowledge of my husband ... and of myself. Today, after 45 years of marriage, I am STILL growing in my knowledge of him. The man surprises me all the time! Sometimes so much so that it takes my breath away. GRIN But this I can truly say, "I love him better every day."
I am richly blessed to have a husband like Roy and to have had the joy of raising a family with him and now sharing grandchildren together. The influence of his wonderful positive attitude has lifted me up more times than I can count. My natural tendency is negativity.
Roy is a man of great integrity and that, for me, has nurtured a longed for sense of security and trust. He is a tenacious achiever, a take charge, "do-it-now" kind of guy. I can't tell you how many times that has reproved my personal proclivity towards procrastination.
He is a man of great generosity. I have learned a multitude of lessons from him about acceptance of others without qualification.
Roy is a man of GREAT humor. And that, my friends is an understatement if there ever was one! He is a hoot and a half!! His light-heartedness and quick wit have diffused many difficult and awkward situations over the years. The proverbs say that a merry heart does us good the same way medicine does when we are ill. I know that Roy's "merry heart" has added so much laughter to our home over the years that the fun times of being together are too numerous to count.
I am thankful for his strength and honor and ethics. I admire his passion for whatever his current "interest" is - be it bass fishing or Beagles. I want to emulate his continual desire to grow and learn.
I know I am a better person today because of Roy's influence in my life over the past 46 years (we dated a year before we married). I thank God for placing Roy in my life and for granting him enough godly mercy and forgiveness towards me to stay there.
I pray that I would "do him good and not harm all the days of his life." (Proverbs 31:12)
This is my daily prayer:
Lord, help me to love my husband
unreservedly,
with the heart of the Father,
by the grace of the Son,
and in the power of the Spirit.
Help me to bless him
expecting nothing in return.
Amen.
4 comments:
How special!!! I have always appreciated Roy's integrity, his work ethic, his wisdom, and his great sense of humor. I pray God's blessing on you and your family. I love all of you!
I thought it was appropriate that I've spent today addressing Mallory's wedding invitations. :) Happy anniversary, Mom & Dad!
How refreshing to read a love story like this today! Getting more and more unusual in these days! May God bless you two with many more blessed years together!
Marilyn
Heyyyy Teach!
In all the Indy500-paced activity (there was a fall and Thanksgiving in there somewhere I am sure of it) I missed this one! Congratulations! An Awesome Life lived before us.
Your Student,
amy
Post a Comment