
The Breath of the Almighty (Job 32:8; 33:4) and the Voice of the Almighty (Ezek. 1:24) are identity names of the Holy Spirit that link Him to this Old Testament name of God, Shaddai.
Shaddai is most frequently translated "Almighty" in scripture. Hence, the Breath of the Almighty = the Breath of Shaddai. The Voice of the Almighty = the Voice of Shaddai.
Shaddai literally means "nourisher" and its translation defines the Almighty as our all-sufficient God. Most often EL (meaning strong one) is attached jointly with Shaddai. What this says to us is that the characteristics of strength along with the ability to supply our needs are found in the name El Shaddai.
The fact that the Holy Spirit's names are linked to El Shaddai is a reminder to us that the Holy Spirit is sufficient to meet the needs of our lives.
Consider the bleak circumstances of Job's suffering when he was reminded of the Breath of the Almighty (Job 32:8; 33:4). Few of us have ever endured a time of testing like Job lived through. Yet, Elihu reminded him that the Breath of Shaddai, the Holy Spirit, would meet his needs by giving him understanding (32:8) and life (33:4).
Think about how discouraged young Ezekiel must have felt when he was taken among the captives to Babylon. Yet scripture records that he heard the Voice of Shaddai (Ezek. 1:24). Imagine the comfort that must have been to him!
Both Job and Ezekiel needed to be encouraged, comforted and strengthened and their all-sufficient God, El Shaddai, met their needs by the power and presence of the Holy Spirit. Just like these Old Testament men, there are times in our Christian lives when we are feeling down and need to be comforted, strengthened and encouraged. Recognizing the all-sufficient ministry of the Holy Spirit in our lives can be just the source of encouragement we need.
Several years ago when I was emerging from my depression, I needed comfort, encouragement and strength more than ever before in my life. It was a "dark" time for me filled with despair, discouragement and disappointment. I picked up Beth Moore's devotional book, Whispers of Hope, and began to use it each morning in my quiet time, along with reading the daily suggested passages in my Bible. I told God that "whispers of hope" was what my heart so desperately needed. It's hard for me not to shout "Hallelujah!" when I think back to how the Breath of Shaddai met me every morning and breathed life and understanding into my spirit through the written words of the living Word I was reading. The Voice of Shaddai spoke more than "whispers" of hope to me. He spoke bold, confident reassurances of His faithfulness, mercy and grace and filled me with healing and hope with His promises for my future. At my time of greatest need, the Holy Spirit was all-sufficient in supplying the perfect amount of comfort, encouragement and strength.
I don't know what your needs are today, my friend. But El Shaddai knows. And I can promise you - WHATEVER your need - no matter how big OR how small - He is all-sufficient to meet that need through the power and presence of the Holy Spirit in your life! I'd love it (and others would be encouraged too) if you would click on the "post a comment" below and share a few sentences about a time that the Holy Spirit encouraged, comforted or strengthend you.
1 comment:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really needed this post in the worst of ways today! Had been dragging my bottom lip...as my Mama would have put it....and needed to know that HE CARES! No matter how big or how SMALL the matter!
God bless you sister!
Marilyn
Post a Comment