When I was born - back when dinosaurs roamed the earth - my parents did not CHOOSE me. They pretty much just took what they got. Oh, they both wanted a baby girl, alright. And my mother had carefully adorned this beautiful bassinet and had delicately embroidered tiny dresses and crocheted little booties in preparation for my arrival. But, I was born to them - so I was theirs. They didn't get to stand outside the hospital's nursery window and pick the prettiest, sweetest baby there.
By contrast, my Heavenly Father, did choose me.
In fact, His word tells me that He chose me before the foundation of the world. (Eph. 1:4) I don't know about you, but that blows my mind! That tells me that before my parents ever even met at that little boarding school in Franklin Springs, GA . . . before they ever married and decided they wanted a baby girl . . . God had already chosen me. He knew all about me. Every day of my life was already recorded in His book before any of them came to be. (Psalm 139:16) Amazing!
My parents didn't choose me. But, oh how they loved me! The indisputable fact that my parents dearly loved me is something I have never - not one time - had reason to doubt in all my many years. Would that every child on earth were that blessed!
And, oh how my Heavenly Father loved me. He loved me so much He sent His One and Only Son so that when I believed in Him, I would have eternal life. He loves YOU that much too, you know.
Jesus chose me too (John 15:16). In fact, He went on to say, "I have chosen you out of the world ..." (John 15:19) That's why when I REMEMBER WHO I AM, I want to remember that I AM CHOSEN.
I am CHOSEN out of the world. God doesn't want me to love this world or the things in it. (1 John 2:15) Yet, constantly, this world vies for my affections. When the enemy of my soul brings his temptations before me, he lays them out in the same way he has presented his temptations since he met Eve in the Garden of Eden. He has three main avenues of attack.
First - he appeals to my desires . . . he knows how to pick exactly the things I think will bring me pleasure. He knows the precise places I am most vulnerable. The Bible calls that "the lust of the flesh." God chose me - and now it's my turn to choose. Will I choose to do God's will - to be holy and blameless before Him - or will I choose to satisfy my fleshly desires apart from God's plan?
Second - Satan dresses his temptation up and parades it before my eyes. Oh, he knows exactly how to make it look most appealing. He knows if he can attract my attention with it and get me to focus on the temptation for awhile, my appetite for it will awaken and demand to be satisfied. The Bible calls that "the lust of the eyes." God chose me - and now, again, it's my turn to choose. Will I keep sneaking glances at that temptation until it lures me into its snare - or will I fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of my faith?
Third - The enemy tries to help me see how very much I deserve to have this wonderful temptation he is setting before me. He reminds me that God loves me and wants me to be happy - and then he draws the conclusion that God wouldn't possibly want me to deprive myself and not partake of this temptation if He truly loves me. The enemy distorts just enough of God's truth to make it sound plausible. He is a liar from the pit of hell. He know that what the Bible calls "the pride of life" has been man's downfall since the beginning of time. When all else fails, that's where he turns! I am easy prey in this area. Pride sneaks into my life in the most insidious ways and too often, because of its very nature, I don't recognize it until it is blatant. And again, I must REMEMBER WHO I AM. I am chosen. And I must choose. Will I choose my own selfish way and glory in what I have or what I did? OR - will I choose God's glory above all else?
When the enemy presents his temptations today - I will REMEMBER I AM CHOSEN. I am CHOSEN to proclaim the praises of Him who has called me out of the darkness of Satan's domain and into the freedom of His marvelous light! (1 Peter 2:9)
I am CHOSEN and appointed by God to bear fruit. (John 15:16)
I am CHOSEN for obedience. (1 Peter 1:2)
I am CHOSEN for salvation. (2 Thessalonians 2:13)
I am CHOSEN to receive an inheritance. (Ephesians 1:11)
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Great post and great subject! I happen to like your "big" banner!!
Post a Comment