Sunday, October 5, 2008

B . . . b

He Is the Bridegroom



And as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride,
So shall your God rejoice over you.
Isaiah 62:5




This summer I read Anne Rice’s fictional novel, Christ the Lord, the Road to Cana. Rice is a consummate researcher so even though the account itself was fictional, I found her description of the Jewish wedding customs of Jesus’ time and His participation at the wedding in Cana (where He performed His first public miracle) fascinating. I can almost feel the joy and celebration pictured here, can’t you?


In Jesus’ time, Jewish men sought the woman they wanted as a wife by going to the woman’s father and asking for her. The bridegoom initiated the relationship. As we picture Jesus as our Bridegroom we can easily see how He takes the initiative in forming a relationship with us. While we are still in sin, He seeks us out and draws us to Him with cords of loving kindness. Just as the Jewish bridegroom asked the marriage question, Jesus calls us to salvation and asks if we will accept Him as our Savior. Jewish bridegrooms of Jesus’ day paid the bride’s family a "mohar" (bride-price)to redeem their bride. Jesus paid the ultimate price for our redemption - His shed blood at Calvary.

After the betrothal the bridegroom returned to his father’s house to prepare a place for his bride. That usually involved building a room or rooms onto his father’s house where he and his bride would live. During the time he was preparing a place for her, the bride made herself ready. Her mother and other older women in the family schooled the young bride in the things a good wife would need to know. When the day for the marriage arrived, the bridegroom came to get his bride. He would travel down the dusty road, often by torchlight, accompanied by his closest friends and companions. At the home of her parents the bridegroom would find his bride ceremonially clean, adorned in her finest robes, veiled and waiting anxiously for his arrival.

After the brief ceremony, the bridegroom would take his bride by the hand and she would follow him to his (or his father’s) house where she knew she would be protected and cared for. Family, friends and companions went with the couple in joyful procession to attend the wedding feast and celebration at the bridegroom’s home. Sometimes the celebration lasted for several days.

Isn't that a marvelous picture of Jesus, our bridegroom? As believers today, we (His church) are called His bride. He has paid the price for our redemption. He has gone to prepare a place for us. (John 14:2) One day soon He will come to take us home where we will join in celebrating the wedding feast of the Lamb. As His bride, I believe we have to ask ourselves, are we ready? The truth is, when you find the right One, it’s easy to forsake all others and follow him.

Lord, you are my Bridegroom – the most loving protector a woman could ever want. Help me release some of my earthly cares and cling to you, knowing that your love is certain and your provision is sufficient for all my needs.

I am beautiful

Boy, that’s something I didn’t ever think I’d say about myself - much less write on a blog for anybody and everybody to read! I was always one of those teenage girls who was never satisfied with her looks. My nose was too big. I had too many freckles. My teeth were crooked. My legs were too skinny. My hair wouldn’t do what I wanted it to. I could go on and on. Then, after I got older and overweight, trust me, you don’t even want to know the kinds of things I thought about myself and my looks.

He has made everything beautiful in its time.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

Today, at 63 years old, my skin is thin and my grandchildren have fun poking the veins in my hands and watching them bounce. Their favorite game is wiggling the flab under my arms. (I think it’s supposed to be my tricep muscles.) My face has gotten wrinkles that even industrial strength wrinkle cream won’t smooth. My hair gets grayer every day and my poor old body is sagging in places I didn’t know were possible. But guess what – for the first time in my life, I feel beautiful.

God has taught me so much in the last two years about His love for me! The most surprising thing has been how knowing His love has changed my self-perception. I have a whole new level of confidence because now my confidence is in Him alone. I am secure in His love. I don’t have to worry how others see or receive me. My Abba loves me. He looks at my heart, not my outward features. He sees a heart that yearns to know Him more day by day . . . a heart that hungers to be pure and holy before Him . . . and He calls that beautiful.

Liz Curtis Higgs writes:

"When women come to know the Lord in a real and personal
way,
their frown lines begin to soften and worry creases start smoothing
out.

A sparkle appears in their eyes and a radiance falls over
their
countenance."

"When you allow the Lord to fill your heart with his
boundless
love, it shows on the outside.

This beauty has nothing to do with cosmetics or plastic
surgery.

On the contrary, it’s an inside-out job:

A heart full of love produces a face full of joy."

Lord, let Your joy which fills my heart shine from my countenance. Your love makes me feel beautiful. Let the presence of your love and life in me shine forth from me so others see You –
for You are beautiful with a capital B!


B (God is . . .)

Balm of Gilead (Jeremiah 8:22)

Blessed Hope (Titus 2:13)

Blessed and Only Potentate (I Timothy 6:15)

Bread of Life (John 6:35)

Bright Morning Star (Revelation 22:16)

Brightness of His Glory (Hebrews 1:3)

b (In Christ, I am . . .)

baptized into Christ (Romans 6:3)

belonging to God (John 17:9)

blessed (Jeremiah 17:7)

bold and confident (Ephesians 2:18, 3:12)

born of God (I John 5:18)

bought with a price (I Corinthians 6:20)

built up (I Peter 2:5)

3 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to be able to read your blog posts! Your heart for God shines right off the page!

You have been such a blessing in my life!

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back at posting! I especailly enjoyed the Alpha and Omega part. I loved being reminded that He is also everything in between! Love, Kay M

Anonymous said...

I'm so blessed by your blog. Looking forward to "C...c" through "Z...z". We recently celebrated Ben's "adoption day". Can't believe I missed the opportunity to share with him that all his family members are adopted! God has used you to bless so many--and I thank Him!
Love you! SandraR