Thursday, October 9, 2008

E . . . e

Our God is Everlasting

Have you not known?
Have you not heard?
The everlasting God, the Lord,
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor is weary.
Isaiah 40:28

I don't know about you, but "everlasting" is almost more than my "NOT-everlasting" mind can grasp! I have never been very long-lasting. Even as a child I required a good eight hours sleep at night. I wasn't even a night-owl when I was a teen-ager, for pete's sake! My body gets weary and needs its sleep to restore itself. Now that I am officially a senior citizen, my sleep requirement is even more essential (and more extensive too!). Most of you would probably think I am a lazy slug if you knew how often I take a nap. GRIN! I got in the nap habit when the munchkins were little and now that they are in school am finding it a habit my body's in no hurry to do away with. God may not get weary, but I sure do. And believe me when I say that a weary Bevo is not a fun person. I get whiny, grumpy, crabby, and just about any other unappealing adjective you might want to apply!

But, oh hallelujah, our God IS Everlasting. I read a commentary the other day that talked about the Milky Way, "that stupendous pale arch we see on a clear winter evening stretching right across the sky." The author said that when the Milky Way is viewed through a telescope, it is found to consist of countless millions of stars as thick as they can cluster. They are all different colors; deep amber, bright green, pale lilac, and white and yellow. Isn't that amazing? I don't know about you, but those kind of scientific facts about the intricacies of our world blow me away. Scientists can't even number those stars. But God knows them by name! At one time, there were no stars. No Milky Way. Perhaps God made them one by one. Perhaps He made the first and then made no more for a few thousand years; then made another and again ceased for a long, long time; and then continued until the countless millions that make up the Milky Way were in place. Think about it. See, our minds have trouble even comprehending that kind of expanse of time, don't they? Even if we were able to grasp the vast far distant point of the first star's creation, we'd still not be any nearer to the beginning of eternity.

We may not be able to comprehend eternity, my friends, but our Everlasting God has put eternity in our hearts.

He has made everthing beautiful in its time.
He has also set eternity in the hearts of men;
yet they cannot fathom
what God has done from the beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

As one author put it, "This is a text that stands as a sovereign mountain peak of truth that dominates the landscape of life. Eternal forces ripple in our blood. Eternal calls echo in our ears. Eternity beckons as deep calls unto depths God has put in our soul." WOW! What a word picture!! Girls, God - the EVERLASTING God - created us in His image. Because we are created in His image, we have eternal value. We also have a hunger for Him. We have a spiritual thirst for God. Nothing but the eternal God will ever fully satisfy us.

Oh, I'm so grateful our Everlasting God will never give us a hunger or thirst He won't satisfy. Aren't you? He sent His Son in human flesh so that our finite minds could catch just a small glimpse of the knowledge of the Everlasting God. He saves us with an everlasting salvation! He loves us with an everlasting love! He adorns His redeemed people with robes of everlasting righteousness! Out of the bounty of His matchless grace He grants us the gift of everlasting life!!

Lord, You have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations.
Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting You are God.
Psalm 90:1-2

Oh my precious Everlasting Father, I am so in awe of Your eternity. You are limitless and I am so incredibly limited. You are boundless and I am hemmed in on every side by mortal boundaries. You are ageless and I seem to be aging more with every passing day.

Thank You for setting eternity in my heart. Thank You for the assurance that I will enjoy Your presence here in my "now" and for all eternity to come. Thank You for being my refuge from the storms of life. Thank You for catching me when I fall. When life seems to be spinning out of control - and sometimes it feels that way to me . . . when I feel like I am in a free fall, thank You, my Everlasting God for the wonderful assurance that underneath me - ready to catch me - are your everlasting arms. Wrap them around me today. Move my feet to dancing in Your embrace. Oh how I love you, Lord! You are my Everlasting God!

The eternal God is your refuge,
and underneath are the everlasting arms.
Deuteronomy 33:27

[allow me a pause here, girls - busy day ahead and I need to log off. I'll edit this post this afternoon or tonight with the lower case "e"] see the next post: e is for encourager

E (God is . . .)

El Shaddai - all sufficient
El Elyon - most high God
Elohim - eternal God
Elroi - God who sees
Enthroned
Ever-present
Exalted
Excellent
Everlasting Father
Eternal life

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I E-mpahatically E-njoyed today's E-ncouraging post! :)

I am so enjoying you being back in blog land Bev! I know it's quite a lot of work to post every day....I never get that much done....and we don't expect you to either if it gets to be too much. Your comments of late have really been meeting some spiritual needy places in my heart and I am thankful the Lord has led me here to your blog!

Talk more later,

Marilyn