Monday, October 20, 2008

F is for FRIEND

Yes, F is for Friend - and I have some GOOD ones! Hope you do too. Here's an email I received this morning from one of my BFF's:

Bevo, F is for ??? Faithful to put the next entry on the Blog?!?! hehe! And don't EVEN try to tell me how busy you have been, cause you don't even KNOW! I have been SOOOO busy, running back and forth to the computer to see what F stands for! I can't fathom that it would mean that I have faith that you will finish feeding us when you feel like it and are not too fragmented or frustrated to fulfill your fine ... OH, Foot! Enough!!! I think you get the message.... hehe!

Thank you, Father, for fabulous funny friends who feel such freedom to poke fun at me! They truly fill my life with love and laughter!

Yes, F is for Friend but, in this context, because we are using the capital F - Friend is used to describe for us another wonderful aspect of WHO our awesome God is.

No longer do I call you servants,
for a servant does not know what his master is doing;
but I have called you friends,
for all things that I heard from My Father
I have made known to you.
John 15:15

Friendship is a mutual experience. It's a two-way street. I've been in friendships where I considered someone a good friend and then discovered that she thought of me as merely an acquaintance. Ouch! Of course, I've been in the reverse circumstance too, when I viewed someone as a casual friend, and she felt more committed to our relationship than I did. Ouch, again! The only thing worse than being wounded in a relationship, to me, is being the one who DOES the wounding!

Making friends can be a scary sort of dance, as you both step toward one another, test the waters to make sure you are accepted, then step back, then risk again. Do you realize that God is the One Who always INITIATES relationship with us? He chooses you to be His friend. Jesus befriended us first by laying down his life for us. No getting-to-know-you exercises, no tentative dance, just the ultimate expression of love. Our Friend Jesus laid down His life for us. He saw what we needed most and brought it right to our doorstep: forgiveness.

A friend is someone who loves you . . . someone who KNOWS you and loves and enjoys you because they know you. A friend has your best interests at heart and often sacrifices herself to meet your need.

A friend stands by you in your lowest moments. Have you ever had someone you thought was a friend desert you when the chips were down? I hope not. That's tough! I hope, like me, you have been blessed to have a friend stick by you through a tough time, demonstrating commitment, support and love.

In Jesus, you and I have the best Friend we could ever have. Some friends may desert us during times of trouble, but Jesus invites us to draw near to Him. Like any good friend, he also takes us into His confidence and tells us everything - all his secrets - all the things He hears from His Father. (Read the above scripture again and let it sink into your heart.)

Have you ever wished that a certain person in your life would be your friend? Maybe you thought, "I'm going to reach out to her to do whatever it takes to become her friend," only to be disappointed to discover she had her own agenda and didn't share your desire for friendship. You'll never have that disappointment when you draw near to Jesus. He has chosen you. He wants to be your Friend. He accepts you. He loves you. He wants to bless you. He wants to literally adopt you into His family so that you are His heir! He redeems you. He forgives you - over and over and over again! Remember the old hymn . . . "What a Friend we have in Jesus - all our sins and griefs to bear . . ."

Think for a minute what it means to have Jesus as your Friend. We are talking about the God of the universe - the most significant Person you could possibly have in your life. And He chose you!!

Earlier we said friendship is a mutual experience. If that's true (and it is), how can we reciprocate in this relationship? How can we be His friend? What steps should we take in this dance of friendship?

How about a deep curtsy of respect and obedience? How about disclosing yourself to God? The most important thing you and I can do is be totally honest with God, unburden ourselves to Him, knowing that He loves us and has our best interests at heart - and walk in the light of His love.

Another dimension of friendship we mentioned is loving a person sacrificially to meet their needs. But wait - are you thinking "God doesn't have any needs"? In essence, that's true. But what does He deeply desire and require? Not only that we love Him above all else, but also love those around us. How are you doing in that category? Remember this little rhyme . . .

To dwell above with those we love,
To me that will be glory.
But to dwell below, with those we know,
Well that's another story.
Ah! That's where the proverbial rubber meets the road, isn't it, my sisters? Here on earth in the day to day mundane events of life with people who rub us the wrong way. Right? Well, guess what - Since we don't live with perfect people, being a Friend of God, means we will have to forgive one another. Our friend, Jesus, saw just what we needed most - forgiveness - and brought it to our doorstep. We are to forgive others the way He forgave us (see Eph. 4:32). Take it to their doorstep girls!
Neil Anderson says: "In helping people find freedom in Christ, I've come to see that unforgiveness is the number one basis for Satan having access to the Church. Satan revels when Christians fight or harbor grudges and separate one another."
Jesus commanded us to love our Christian brothers and sisters and He prayed for us to be one in unity so the world would know Him through us. (see John 17:20-23)
Precious Father, forgive me for the times I have felt lonely and longed for a friend, when all along You were there offering me the most wonderful, intimate relationship imaginable. Thank You for choosing me to be your friend. I want to express my love toward You today by being open and honest about myself to You and by being loving and real with my friends and family. Help me walk in the light of your love.
F (God is . . . )
Faithful and true
Father of mercies
Firstborn of creation
Fortress
Full of grace and truth
First and last
Father of lights
Forerunner
Friend

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Forever Friend,

Loved the post! Thanks for the quote from Neil Anderson. I am about to teach a Bible study on forgiveness and I'm sure I can use that thought.

Love,
Kay