Monday, January 3, 2011

Blessing #9 - FAMILY


No, this is not my family. Were you confused because none of the faces match the ones on my sidebar? LOL This is just a random picture from the internet but I thought it was the coolest illustration of what a GIFT Family is.

All our various Christmas traditions serve to solidify the bonds we have as family and carry the meaning and depth of the connection on to the next generation. As I've reflected on the blessings of Christmas these past few days I've recalled memories from my childhood when my parents and grandparents were doing loving things that made my Christmas special. I've also recalled, with great delight, some of the things Roy and I did through the years to make Christmas special for our children. Some of them - like the image of poor Roy still assembling a Barbie house at 2AM on Christmas morning - bring smiles "now" but I doubt they did "then." And now, here we are in this season of life, watching our children make Christmas special for their children and stepping back a bit to enjoy the role of grandparent.

Today is the 9th day of Christmas. In three more days it will be Epiphany and Christmas will officially be over. The trees and decorations will be back in the attic. But thankfully, the blessing of family will still be present! On this 9th day of Christmas am I going to continue the process of packing away the ornaments and greenery? No. Today I have promised a little blond haired granddaughter that we will sew doll clothes! That's FAR more important!

I thank God continually for the blessing of family - and I'm sure you do too. I want the world to know that I see each member of my family as one of God's most special gifts. I don't take the blessing of family for granted. I know that each and every family member is a unique treasure straight from the hand of God.

Cross stitched ornaments convey my heart on our main Christmas tree - which we call the "Families are Forever" tree. It's the one with all the photo ornaments of Christmases through the years. On this tree is a cross-stitched ornament bearing the name of each family member.

For Roy and me I made a heart shaped ornament that I hang beside the photo of our first Christmas when we'd been married less than a month. It has a couple kissing with our names and and the date, 1964. On the back it has our commitment to one another: Hebrews13:5 "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

For our three children the ornament reads: God gave us our (first/second/third) child Lori/John/Lisa born (date of birth). The ornament for our two sons-in-law reads: On (wedding date) Lori/Lisa married Dennis/Keith and God blessed us with a son-in-law. Each of the eight grandchildren have a cross-stitched ornament with their name and birth date and the words - A Gift of God.

In addition to these is a little banner with Psalm 127:3 "Children are a heritage from the Lord," a "Families are Forever" ornament, and a painted (doorknob) hanger that I modified and turned into an ornament that reads: "Grandchildren loved here." I don't think anyone could look at this tree and not know how I feel about my family.

I know my family is a gift from God. I love and treasure each one and thank God for the precious blessing of family. How about you?

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Deuteronomy 6:5-7a

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

How sweet! I love my family so very much too. Nothing here on earth is more important - they come right behind the Lord and I know you feel the same way. My family is one of God's greatest blessings and my forever friends come close behind that.