Today is EPIPHANY. January 6th. Do you even know what EPIPHANY is? My husband says he'd never heard of it until I started throwing the term around. LOL I guess that's the truth for many of us who grew up in less liturgical churches.In Western Christian tradition, January 6th is celebrated as Epiphany. The day marks the climax of the Advent/Christmas season and the Twelve Days of Christmas. Epiphany is a time to put away the present, forget the hustle and bustle of Christmas and reflect on its true meaning.

Some cultures call Epiphany Three Kings Day. The term epiphany actually means "to show" or "to make known" or even "to reveal." Some connect it with the coming of the Magi because their coming to worship the Christ child represented the Messiah being revealed to the Gentile world. Others say that the gifts the Magi brought "revealed" Jesus to the world as Lord and King.
I have used the Twelve Days of Christmas this year to continue enjoying the festive decorations and to reflect on the blessings of the season more than most years. It's really been a special treat. [Sorry I haven't blogged about the final blessings but finishing some writing for my Sunday School class had to take priority.]
January 6th - Epiphany has been my target date to pack Christmas away. So here's what I did this morning.
But here's what's really cool - I had just finished dragging the last box out the door - when the mail carrier drove up bringing . . .
In some countries, particularly those in Central and South America, Epiphany is celebrated just like Christmas with children opening presents and a large feast. We're going to get to celebrate Epiphany at our house with presents - but I'm sure not cooking a FEAST! Been there. Done that!
Good-bye sweet Christmas season. See you same time next year. Until then, I'll just keep all the precious blessings you bring bubbling like a fountain in my heart.
1 comment:
Love the way you have enjoyed the "after" Christmas time. I pray the last paragraph as well. I pray the Lord will help me remember all the blessings He has poured out on me and my family.
Post a Comment