Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day and across our nation public school children have a holiday.For me personally, that means the munchkins will spend the day at Gran's house. Even as I sit here typing, sounds of Mario Cart being played on a DS fill the air around me. The quiet of a childless household will not be found here today. And, I wouldn't have it any other way!
Earlier, I sat at the breakfast table with Race talking in my right ear and Hallie simultaneously talking into my left ear. Both of them are total motormouths! I sat there wondering, "Why do I have two ears and only one brain?" It was difficult to concentrate on both conversations at the same time. I must be getting old! LOL
Last night I went to bed thinking about the children being here today and mused to myself that we didn't have "Martin Luther King Jr." holidays when I was a kid.
No.
We had Martin Luther King Jr. himself.
When I was a kid there were separate schools for black children and white children. Integration began in my hometown the year I graduated. When I was growing up, there were separate restrooms, separate water fountains, separate churches - separate everything. I went to a white school, attended a white church and lived in a white neighborhood. I never had a black friend or playmate. And, ashamedly, I'll admit that I never even recognized the injustice of it all. It's just the way things were and I accepted the "norm" as okay and never thought twice about it. Sadly, that's probably because I wasn't a part of the group who was discrimated against. Snug in my little snow white world the struggles of the black community never entered my self-centered thinking.
Ahhh - but Martin Luther King Jr. WAS a part of the group who was discriminated against and he decided to do something about it. It's amazing to look back and see the influence and changes in our society that were exacted because this one man "had a dream."
His dream and the things he accomplished trying to achieve it have made a profound difference in my "white" life today and I am eternally grateful. Today color no longer separates us as it once did. Today I am blessed to have friends whose skin color differs from mine. RICHLY blessed!
Yesterday morning at the close of our church service the black friend sitting next to me leaned over and asked me to go to the altar with her and pray for her. Hand in hand we walked to the altar and knelt before the Lord. I wrapped her up in my arms and prayed over her with love and joy pouring from my heart. What an awesome privilege! She is my sister in EVERY sense of the word and I love her dearly. How blessed I am that the same sweet Holy Spirit indwells us both. How my life is enriched by knowing her and her extended family.
I'm so glad Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream. I might have missed the blessing of friendship and family with many who are a part of my life today. . . and I would certainly be the poorer for it.
1 comment:
I so agree with you!! My childhood differed from yours in that I did have black friends. I grew up on a farm and I worked in the fields right beside them. Our dad taught us to work so since he was a farmer, we worked in the fields. I never saw any difference made between the workers but yes, they went to different schools, churches, etc. I didn't understand it, but am glad it is different today.
Post a Comment