Thoughts of FAMILY for me are synonymous with BLESSING. I am blessed beyond measure by the family I was born into, the family that I gained through marriage, the family that was born to me from that union, the grandchildren (and coming GREAT-grandchild) that have been added, and the family of God I was "adopted" into when I became a believer. I do not take lightly how incredibly blessed I have been by the sheer grace of God over the course of my lifetime.
So - yesterday when I watched the introductory video to Beth Moore's newest Bible Study on the book of James, I did a double-take when I filled in the blanks on point 3 of the listening guide. Here's what it says:
Jesus radically RESTRUCTURES the idea of FAMILY.
What?
How?
Beth outlined the PROGRESSION of the concept of FAMILY as it occured in the life of Jesus and I found it SO meaningful! Want me to give you a recap? You do? Oh, I'm so glad you asked. teehee teehee
Jesus was born into a nuclear family that consisted of Him, Mary and Joseph. Over the years of His childhood at least six other children were born to Mary and Joseph. Matthew 13:55-56 records four brothers; James, Joses, Simon and Judas; and adds "His sisters." No names of the girls are listed but we know there were at least two from the plural use of the word. This was Jesus' NATURAL FAMILY. These were the people He lived with for 30 years before launching His ministry.
He undoubtedly shared chores with these siblings, played games with them, and slept on a mat with (or beside) them as they grew up in the village of Nazareth. He traveled to feasts in Jerusalem with this family. He loved them - and they loved Him. They shared life together. I wonder which of His brothers he was closest to emotionally. I wonder which sister stole His heart with her gentle and caring ways. I wonder which younger brother was the biggest pest. I wonder if Jesus and James saw baby brother Judas coming and whispered to one another, "here comes tag-along."
I love thinking about Jesus and His NATURAL FAMILY. Can you picture their shared grief when Joseph passed away? Did it draw them closer together? Or did it do what grief so often does, separate and isolate them from one another? Scripture is silent on most of these things so we are left to our imagination. But one thing is certain - this was the family Jesus "did life" with for thirty years. He loved them - and they loved Him.
One of the first events in Jesus' ministry was the wedding in Cana where He changed the water into wine. This was a celebration He shared with His NATURAL FAMILY. It may even have been a close relative's wedding. John 2:12 tells us "After this He went down to Capernaum, He, His mother, His brothers, and His disciples ..."
Did you catch that? His disciples. To His NATURAL FAMILY Jesus has now added disciples. Don't we kind of do the same thing? We add people to our lives that become a part of our family, don't we? In North Carolina last weekend for my granddaughter's baby shower, I watched as her two best friends arrived hours before the shower to help decorate. No one asked them to do that. They are just added family. And that's what family does. They signed the cards to Mallory's baby "from Aunt Julia ... Aunt Rachel."
Initially, Jesus' disciples were added to His natural family. But then came the deep call to ministry and His family (at least, His brothers) did not understand - did not embrace His teaching. In fact, in the light of some of His teaching, Mark 3:21 tells us "they said, 'He is out of His mind.'" Have you ever watched a family member do or say something and thought that same thing to yourself??? Hmmm. Maybe we better not go there.
Jesus chose to follow the Father's will and the path it led Him on separated Him from His natural family. Mark 3:31-35 records Jesus' family (and remember, this was when they thought He was out of His mind) coming to find Him and being unable to reach Him because of the crowds around Him. When Jesus was told they were there and wanted to see Him, He said "Who is my mother or my brothers?" and pointed to the group around Him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does the will of God is my brother and my sister and mother." That's always sounded harsh to me. I've read that so many times and thought, "If my son denied me, it would break my heart." But reading it in context, you have to wonder, don't you, if they were coming to physically take Him away and try to talk sense into Him.
However you choose to interpret that passage (and others, like Luke 14:26-27), you must admit that Jesus restructured the idea of family to include (or become) SPIRITUAL family. I went to church alone for the vast majority of my marriage. I remember one particular time of slipping in to the sanctuary (a gym at the time), sitting down alone and feeling more lonely than I'd ever felt in my life. Then God reminded me that I was a part of HIS family and all these people sitting around me were my brothers and sisters. I had the connection of SPIRITUAL FAMILY! Joy unspeakable!
How many of you find it easier to discuss things of the Spirit - deep truths of scripture - with your church family than you do your physical family? That used to make me feel a bit "guilty." Isn't it wonderful to realize that Jesus ORDAINS the connection of SPIRITUAL FAMILY! When Jesus hung on the cross, to whom did He commit the care of His beloved mother? Read John 19:25-27. It was to His SPIRITUAL brother, the disciple (later apostle) John; not to one of His four physical brothers.
But here's the glorious progression of Jesus' radical restructure of the idea of family - NATURAL family moved to include disciples -- then forsook natural family for the eternal connection of SPIRITUAL family and then moved into RESURRECTED family.
Jesus' physical/natural brothers believed on Him. Acts 1:12-14 lists the people present at Jesus' ascension who went back to the upper room in Jerusalem together. Among those listed are Jesus' brothers. Even more delicious -- Jesus appeared to His brother, James, in the forty days He was on earth after His resurrection. One on one. Just Jesus and James. (Read 1 Cor. 15:7) Oh. My. Goodness. Imagine the scene. Where was it? Don't you wonder what they said to one another?? Were there tears? Were there hugs? How glorious would that reunion have been??
Oh, sister - for those of you who still have family you share a physical connection with but not a spiritual connection - does that not give you HOPE? H. O. P. E. HOPE, sisters - confident expectation of RESURRECTED family! Hallelujah! And AMEN! Every time my precious husband has sat down beside me in church (or waited for me on Sunday mornings with the car cranked) for the last several years, that's what I have EXPERIENCED - RESURRECTED FAMILY! And. It. Is. Glorious. Joy unspeakable and FULL of glory!
Family - Natural - Spiritual - Resurrected. I am blessed beyond measure!!
2 comments:
Oh WOW!I will then rejoice in my resurrected family! I MUST! How can I not?!?! I will! No... I am!!! RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE!
And oh how different this teaching is from the kind that keeps you holding people at arms' length, weighing whether associating with them will be an "inconvenience"... a "disruption."
Praise Him for shining this light on things! And thank you for sharing it!
I too am so very blessed with family!! I am loving "James, Mercy Triumps" - can't wait till January when we begin meeting together to study!
Post a Comment