Tuesday, January 1, 2013
JEHOVAH ROHI, THE LORD, MY SHEPHERD
A brand new year has opened this morning, Abba. 2013 is like a flower unfolding its petals. There is fresh fragrance - beauty - hope - promise - and I am reminded that You have set before me another year of pilgrimage in which to grow in my knowledge of You. Your mercies are fresh EVERY morning, Lord God. I do not have to wait for the dawning of a new year or a special feast or day of atonement to be restored into intimate relationship with You. Fresh every morning - and many times throughout the day - I come and say "Create in me a CLEAN heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me." Oh my precious Abba, You are GOOD and Your mercy endures forever. How I praise Your holy name and worship You for WHO you are. I am blessed to be Your child.
How fitting that on this first day of a new year my devotional should come from one of the most beloved and familiar passages of Your Word - Psalm 23. How glorious to be reminded of the many facets of Your Person and some of the things You pledge to do in the lives of Your children. Have I told You today how grateful I am to be one of Your beloved children? Oh, Abba - I love You so!
You are my shepherd. You do for me - a child so prone to be wayward - what loving shepherds do for their sheep. You give me guidance and direction. You never leave me nor forsake me. You are Jehovah Rohi, my shepherd.
Because You are my shepherd, "I shall not want." You provide ALL that I need. You are Jehovah Jireh, my provider.
You "make me lie down in green pastures and lead me beside STILL waters." You fill me with Your peace and provide a place of rest from all my struggles. You are Jehovah Shalom, my peace.
You "restore my soul." Oh Abba, how You restore my soul! You soothe my anxious emotions. You pour the Balm of Gilead upon my wounded spirit. You have blessed me with physical health far beyond many of my peers and certainly far beyond what I deserve. I am grateful; for I know these things are only so because You are Jehovah Rapha, my healer.
You "lead me in paths of righteousness." Oh gentle shepherd, may I follow You farther and farther along those paths this year. You can lead me no where else BUT righteousness for You are Jehovah Tsidkenu, my righteousness. But I am often a stubborn sheep, demanding my own way and pursuing paths apart from your righteousness. Help me walk in step - as if in tandem yoke - with Your Spirit, Abba. Let me not stray from Your paths of righteousness. Let me not run ahead of You nor lag behind - but fully keep in step with You.
When I must walk in the valleys where shadows loom, "I will fear no evil" for You are Jehovah Nissi, my banner. Your banner over me is love and protection. I will not lose my way for Your banner is lifted high for me to run to it and find a place of refuge.
You are always with me for You are Jehovah Shammah, the LORD who is there. Your rod - which sometimes must minister correction to me - comforts me. Yes. It truly does. I am so grateful that even though You love me as I am, You will not let me stay as I am. You send Your Word to speak correction and reproof and refine me until I am the vessel You purposed me to be. Your staff, Lord. Oh. What a comfort Your staff has been to me. When I had fallen into that deep pit of depression a few years ago, it was Your staff that reached all the way to the bottom of that dark place and lifted me out into Your light.
You anoint my head with oil because You are Jehovah M'kaddesh, my sanctifier. You call me to be holy because You are holy. This year, Abba, every time I look into a mirror, would You bring the words "HOLY TO THE LORD" to my remembrance? May I live my life set apart for Your use and reaching out with the love of Jesus poured into my heart by Your Holy Spirit to offer help, hope and healing to those You bring into my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Well done!! This blessed me this morning!! Love you, forever friend!!
Post a Comment