Friday, March 19, 2010

LET ME INTRODUCE

Let me introduce you to a couple of amazing ladies. One is a "new" friend for me and the other is an "old" friend. Why does that make me want to sing "Make new friends but keep the old ... one is silver and the other gold" ... guess I was a Girl Scout leader for too many years. LOL

Neither of these ladies are my IRL(in real life) friends. We've never met in person and, possibly, never will. But I sincerely hope they both become my BFF's (best friends forever). I have several BFF's IRL and one thing they all have in common is that because of the incredible women they are, they make me want to be a better me. I may never become the BFF of the two women I'm introducing today, but through their callings in life, they can become mine!


Meet Danna Demetre

Danna and I just became aquainted through her book Scale Down .. A Realistic Guide to Balancing Body, Soul & Spirit and now I am devouring her newest offering: Change Your Habits, Change Your Life. You can check her out for yourself at http://www.dannademetre.com/

Danna declares that she is not a weight loss guru - though her books have helped many people lose weight healthfully. She likes to refer to herself as a "biblical change coach." I like that coinage of phrase for several reasons:
  1. I need to make some changes
  2. I could sure use a coach - someone who knows what they are doing and will help me set realistic goals and encourage me to reach them
  3. I want whatever I do to be biblical - God has a better plan for me than any self-help guru or well-intentioned friend ever could. He alone has the answers. He alone fully understands who I am and what I struggle with.



Danna's book, Scale Down, has an accompanying 8 week Wellness Workbook, as well as a small group leader's guide and DVD's. I am loving them and am trying to keep myself open to the Lord about how He might want to use them in the future. I have to be careful to listen to the Lord though and not "lean to my own understanding" - I have one of these maven personalities that thinks every time I learn something I have to teach it to others. Hence, this blog. GRIN!



Those of us who have done the diet dance for many years sometimes think we already know all the right "facts." And many times, we do. But just as many times, we still have things to learn. Just for fun - See if you know the answers to these three questions (I'll post the correct answers at the bottom of this post).


1. FACT: The average person gains 25 pounds between the ages of 30 and 50 years old. Question: How many extra calories must be consumed each day for this to happen?
A. 5 to 10
B. 50 to 100
C. 250 to 300



2. How many calories does the average American woman burn in a day?
A. 1,000-1,200
B. 1,300-1,500
C. 1,600-1,700



3. If I burn 100 calories more than I eat each day, how many days will it take to burn off 1 pound of fat?



I am thankful that God has brought Danna into my life. He has already used her to unleash a hope in me that I'd allowed the enemy to vanquish. Danna and I will be spending a lot of time together in the next few weeks and months as God continues to use her to teach me how to honor Him with my choices and be transformed by the renewing of my mind.

...offer your bodies as living sacrifices,

holy and pleasing to God -

this is your spiritual act of worship.

....be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Romans 12:1-2


Meet Leslie Sansone


Leslie and I used to have a wonderful relationship. Click here to read all about it. I really don't know why I let our friendship fall by the wayside. Just laziness on my part I guess. It takes work to maintain relationships, doesn't it? I do know this - I miss Leslie. I miss how meeting with her made me feel. It's time to get reacquainted.

One of the things I always loved about Leslie - she is SO accepting. She lets you take it at your own pace and affirms and encourages you all along the way. She never criticizes when you just can't quite measure up. You can check her out for yourself at http://www.walkathome.com/

I need some accountability. Next time you see me, ask me if I've been walking with Leslie lately. Okay?


Here are the answers to the calorie quiz above:
1. A. 5 to 10
2. C. 1,600-1,700
3. 35 days
Did you get them all right or are you surprised by some of the answers?

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

You are on a roll dear friend! You must not have the twins all week. I am praying for you!