Thursday, March 18, 2010

REHEARSALS

How do you get from THIS

to THIS???

The answer:
Years of practice and LOTS of REHEARSALS!

How did Joshua become the same kind of powerful leader for the Israelites that Moses had been? From 40 years of serving as Moses' aide. The responsibilities he carried in those years served as rehearsals for the day he would bear the mantle of leadership.


Joshua led the army of Israel in the battle against the Amalekites at Rephidim. (Exodus 17:8-15) While Joshua and the army fought in the valley, Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held his hands up (acknowledging God as sovereign over the battle), the Israelites prevailed. When Moses grew weary and lowered his hands, the Amalekites would begin winning. Aaron and Hur put a stone under Moses so he could sit. Then, these two fellow intercessors held Moses' arms up until the battle was over and the Amalekites defeated.

Then the Lord said unto Moses,
"Write this for a memorial in a book, and
rehearse it in the ears of Joshua..."
Exodus 17:14 (KJV- emphasis added)


From this very first mention of Joshua in scripture, God was training him for his eventual role as leader. The Lord wanted to make sure that Joshua was fully aware that it was God Himself who won the battle for the Israelites. There would be many more battles in Joshua's future. God wanted to make sure Joshua didn't trust in his own ability, so He told Moses to "rehearse it in the ears of Joshua."

"One definition of rehearse is "to practice for a performance." Moses was to rehearse the event over and over so that Joshua would know what to do when it was his time to "perform."
God produces many rehearsals in our lives. He can use each of our experiences,
good or bad, to prepare us for what lies ahead. If we trust God and submit to
Him in every circumstance, we will come through the situations wiser and stronger. These rehearsals give us the faith and courage we need to accomplish the tasks God intends for us." (Walking With God, by Mindy Ferguson, p. 20, emphasis mine)


God has led me in victorious battles against my enemy, overeating, using biblical based weight loss programs a number of times. Each time, I have carefully given Him the glory for the battle won and vowed never to return to my old eating habits. Each time I have failed to keep my vow. Each time I have slowly but surely returned to the captivity of my enemy and regained the weight I'd lost.


Unless you share the commonality of this problem ... and I know MANY do ... you cannot understand how physically, mentally, emotionally, and even SPIRITUALLY defeating this cycle is. More than simply failing at maintaining a healthy weight, I would feel as though I had failed God. HE had brought victory ... and then my self-willed eating took it away. I felt like I had in some way negated His glory.


How could I bring this to the Lord AGAIN? How could I beseech His help for the same problem AGAIN? Those were some of the punching blows of shame the enemy would bring to my mind every time I stepped on the scale or looked in the mirror or tried to squeeze into too tight clothing.


The bondage of failure became a heavy weight. The fear of failing AGAIN became an obstacle that looked impossible to overcome. I have sat immobile in the face of my enemy for a long time ....far too long.


When I read the comments quoted above and began to meditate on rehearsals, here's what the Holy Spirit applied to my heart:
  • I can view the times I have successfully lost weight with God's help as REHEARSALS
  • I can see those times as opportunities in which I learned new truths and experienced God's faithfulness
  • I can rejoice in past victories, even if they were temporary, and allow them to give me the faith and courage to try again

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Love your comments on "rehearsals" at the end of the post. Yes, you can try again!!! Yes, you have learned from past victories! Yes, God will give you victory again! Love you dear friend!