Wednesday, September 26, 2007

To blog or not to blog - that is the question

Psalm 40:1-3

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my fee on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."

Unlike the psalmist, I cannot say I waited patiently for the Lord, but cry out to Him I did ... and He heard my cry.

A little over a year ago I was stuck in the depths of a slimy pit with slopes so slippery I could see no way out. The mud and mire was so thick that every step forward pulled me back two. I was emotionally depressed, physically overweight and spiritually lethargic. MISERABLE! Desperate!

God lifted me from that pit and placed my feet firmly on promises from His word. He literally put a new song in my mouth. (Actually, an old song - "He Has Made Me Glad" - is what fills my soul most days. GRIN!)

God has made a radical transformation in my life over the last thirteen months. So why begin a blog? Because the scripture says "many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." My desire in this blog is to share what God has done and is doing in my life. Why? Because I'm somebody special that people should want to be like? NO! Oh my, NO! NO! A thousand times NO! But ONLY because God is a great and awesome God. He has worked wonders in my life and I want to give Him ALL honor and glory. I want to encourage others who might be stuck in the pit of depression, overweight or spiritual lethargy. If you see yourself in any or all of those categories ... if you are depressed ... if you are overweight ... if you have grown cold spiritually ... if you are miserable ... then I want to tell you, there is Hope. You can trust God to lift you out of the miry clay and bring strength and stability to your life.

He can, and will, give you a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair (Isa 61:3). He can, and will, direct you in your eating and exercise so that your body becomes a fit habitation for His Spirit (I Cor. 3:16). He can, and will, revive you again so that you can rejoice in Him (Ps 85:6).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend,
I believe you are fulfilling one of God's plans for you. I think you're awesome you know. I haven't read everything yet but will catch up soon.

Anonymous said...

Bev,
How proud I am of you!!!
Your journey is such a story and the fact that you would share and have the "now-how" to do that is to your credit and to God be the Glory!!!
Love, Your cuz,
DJ

lbeck said...

Bev,

So glad that you have become a blogger! You've been an inspiration to me from 1960 - 1963 and since we've rekindled our friendship a little over 6 years ago (thanks to a high school email directory).

I'm looking forward to reading your blog.