Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Birthday Psalm

Tomorrow is my 64th birthday. My daughter tells me I should tell people I'm 74 and then they will respond - "Wow - you look GOOD for 74!" That gives me a good chuckle but the truth is, for someone who railed for many years against aging and loathed every birthday that arrived, I have become extremely comfortable with my age. Oh sure, I wish there were fewer sags and wrinkles ... fewer gray hairs ... but I am finally learning to disallow my physical features to define the person I am! Hallelujah! It's about time!!

I think my precious Abba wanted to be the first to wish me a happy birthday this year so this morning as I read one of my favorite Psalms, He allowed His Spirit to whisper some of the sweetest remembrances to my heart.

In Psalm 71 the psalmist wrote:
(v.1) In You, O LORD, do I take refuge ...
(v.2) Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come ...

Oh, how precious is our Heavenly Father as a place of refuge. Truly, He is a ROCK. Oh how precious is the fact that there is never a time we cannot run to Him. Continually we can come, the psalmist said!

A few weeks ago, devastated by a relationship rift, I ran to Him for refuge. I ran to Him for comfort. I ran to Him for compassion. Instead, in Him I found discipline and direction. The discipline was not pleasant for a time. The direction was not what I anticipated. But both have brought the comfort and compassion I sought. I ran to Him because I wanted the misunderstanding resolved. I wanted the relationship restored - and QUICKLY. Instead, He began to show me areas where I needed His loving discipline. He unfolded places of misplaced priorities in my life. He allowed me to repent and receive His forgiveness. He opened my eyes to deception in my spirit and replaced it with His truth. He began to speak His direction for the path of my journey - and it was different from what I thought I desired. How much higher are His thoughts than mine!!

Reading the psalmists' words of praise for the mighty rock of refuge my Heavenly Father is filled me with such joy this morning. I still want the rift in my relationship resolved, but only in a way that pleases my Father. I am filled with His peace because He has promised to use this for my good and His glory. O, SOVEREIGN LORD, You are a wonder!

When I read v. 5,
For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD,
my confidence since my youth

I was blessed to remember that it has been 56 years since I came to know Christ as my personal Savior and trust Him with my hopes - my dreams - my activities - and my relationships. He has never in all those years ceased to be faithful to me . . . even in the times I was not faithful to Him!

V. 3 may have reminded me that I can CONTINUALLY come to Him but v. 14 reminds me that I can CONTINUALLY hope in Him.
But I will hope continually
and will praise you yet more and more.

v. 15: My mouth will tell of your righteous acts,
of your deeds of salvation all the day,
for their number is past my knowledge.

I cannot even imagine how many times a day my Heavenly Father saves me from myself! O precious, Lord - all my righteousness is as filthy rags before You. Help me rest in YOUR righteousness alone.

V.19 Your righteousness, O God,
reaches the high heavens,
You who have done great things,
O God, who is like you?

And here is my birthday greeting: (vv.17-18)

O God, from my youth you have taught me,
and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds.
So even to old age and gray hairs, ....
I proclaim your might to another generation,
Your power to all those to come.

There is great joy in being able to trace more than half a century of God's faithfulness personally at work in my life. There is great joy in knowing that I can still proclaim His wondrous deeds to another generation as I love my grandchildren and speak His truths into their lives.

And when the enemy whispers lies such as, "Why would they want to listen to an old lady like you?" into my ears as I look out upon the younger faces of the women in my SS class . . . I can answer with boldness - My Father has promised that even though I am old and gray, He will not forsake me and will allow me to proclaim His power to all to come.

(vv.23-24 - the Bevo translation) My lips shout for joy, O God, when I speak and sing Your praises. My soul, which You have redeemed, shouts for joy in You, my rock of refuge. My tongue will talk of your righteous help all the day long.

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Happy Birthday Beverly! Today (Tuesday) is my oldest son's birthday. He is like you said you used to be.....he hates getting older!

May God bless you with many more great years!

Marilyn