Monday, June 1, 2009

Like Dew on the Lily


Last week when I prepared my SS lesson about Jehovah Rapha - the LORD our Healer, I came across a verse that really got my attention.


I will heal their waywardness
and love them freely . . .
Hosea 14:4


The KJV says He will heal our "backsliding" - my heart skips a beat! My Healer will heal my backsliding?? Oh, yes, LORD, I need that. In the dance of my life there is a particular area where I may make steady progress for a lengthy period of time. Then I begin to slip. Sometimes I take two steps forward and one step back. And other times, I'm sorry to say, it's one step forward and two or three steps back. I need Jehovah Rapha to heal my backsliding.


The Healer and I spent some time this morning talking over most of the 14th chapter of Hosea. May I share with you (from my journal) part of our conversation? You may want to open your Bible to that passage and read the verses for yourself because I have greatly paraphrased them in my dialog with the Lord.


In v. 1 He told me to return to Him because my sins had made me "stumble." Father, thank You for Your arms that are open wide to receive me when I run to You. Pour into my heart a genuine spirit of repentance . . . not just sorrow or regret . . . but repentance that results in change.


v. 2 - Forgive my sin and receive me graciously, that I may offer the fruit of my lips - praise for Your great healing work - honor and glory to Your great name.


v. 3 - "Assyria" cannot save me - Lord, I will look to you alone. I will not trust in programs or self-help books and the world's solutions for my area of need.
I will never again say 'Our gods' to what our own hands have made ... - Lord, I will not make an idol of my own self-control or will power. I will trust in the work of Your Spirit.

v. 4 - Heal my waywardness. Heal my backsliding. Oh precious Father, love me freely!
v.5 - Be to me like the dew. Fall fresh on me each morning with the life giving water of Your word. Cause me to blossom with the beauty of a lily that shines forth Your glory.



I love this analogy because it's so timely right now. The asiatic lilies and the stella de'oros have been in full bloom in one of my flower beds and now the daylilies out by the water garden have put out their long shoots as they are getting ready to bloom.


v.6 - Lord, cause my roots to grow deeply into the soil of Your love and let my life sprout a bounty of "shoots" that represent a fresh work of Your Spirit.


v.7 - Oh God, help me return and dwell beneath Your shadow. There, let me flourish and bloom like the vine.



The trumpet vines around the water garden are lush and green right now. They grows thicker every day and are already beginning to put forth some blossoms. Soon they will be radiant with orange and red and yellow blooms.

v. 8 - Lord, it is You who watches over me and causes me to bear fruit for Your glory.

v. 9 - Your ways are right, Father. Help me walk upright in them. Keep me from stumbling in sin!
I praise You, JEHOVAH RAPHA, for You are truly the LORD, my Healer!
Okay, peeps, it's your turn. I purposely did not name my sin in this post (though I most assuredly did in my dialog with God - the lines here are only excerpts). Most of my IRL (in real life) friends will know immediately. It's not a secret and I discuss my struggles with it very openly (even here on the blog). But I felt impressed of the Lord NOT to be specific in this post so that you could insert your own area of backsliding without being influenced by mine.
I ask you:
  • Do you need to be healed of waywardness in some area of your life?
  • Do you want the Lord's love and presence to settle on you like dew on the lily?
  • Do you want to blossom with the beauty of a flawless flower?
  • Will you return to the open arms of your Father today?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Friend, I am touched by your post - I needed that. I also am so blessed by the pictures of your flowers. I have known you long enough that it seems like a miracle that you have labored in the yard (the heat)and have produced such lovely beds. I am excited that you are enjoying working outside - I suppose because I always have. It is such a blessing to plant and watch what God will do with our efforts. I would love to come see the fruits of your labor sometime.

Your forever friend, Kay