Tuesday, June 30, 2009

VBS

"G'day Kideroos. Welcome to the Outback Sheep Station." Five times a day that's how I greeted classes to my VBS room for a Bible study adventure in God's Word using LifeWay's Boomerang Express Australian theme.

What an adventure it was!

But let me start at the very beginning. Do all of you know that I am notoriously a last-minute- Lizzy?? Oh, puuuhleaze ... don't act surprised. I have been President Emeritus of Procrastinator's Anonymous for YEARS! True to my nature ... I left WAY TOO MANY things to be done the last week before VBS began. ARGH! What a hectic, nerve wracking week! When will I ever learn?

Here's how my self-talk went all week . . .
  • I'm too old for this stuff!
  • I need my head examined for volunteering to do this!
  • What was I thinking??
  • If I live through this year I'll never work in VBS again.
And that's just some of my "milder" thoughts.

You know how they say, "Keep your words soft and sweet 'cause you might have to eat them"? Within 15 minutes of beginning to teach my first VBS group I was ready to eat every negative word I'd mumbled the week before! Oh. My. Goodness. What FUN!! What JOY!!

We do VBS in "rotations" at our church. That means that every 30 minutes a new group "rotated" to my room for the Bible story. I got to personally teach more than 150 kids a day in Kindergarten through 5th grade. Joy personified!! I cannot remember when I have had more fun than that week of VBS!! I am eternally grateful for that totally joyous opportunity and cannot wait until I get to volunteer for VBS again next year!

Getting to take (and teach) my two favorite disciples (otherwise known as "the munchkins" - my now 6 1/2 year old grandchildren) just put the icing on the cake.

Here's Hallie (second from right) with her gaggle of girlfriends. They would run and hug each other every morning squealing with delight. Too cute!

Race (also 2nd from right) with his bevy of buds. The boys were not as demonstrative in their affection for one another but great friends all the same.

Teaching the kindergarten class. I got them first thing every morning when their little minds were fresh and open. See the hands raised? There was never a shortage of answers for any question I asked in this group! And sometimes the answers would really surprise you. GRIN!



The kindergarten group (though a number of them got cut off on the right side of the snapshot). And somehow, I totally missed getting a picture of the 1st grade group. Sorry guys!


The savy second graders with their two teenage guides.





The terrific third graders. Our smallest group - but, boy, these guys were on the ball.





The fantastic fourth and fifth graders! They were my last group every day and SO much fun to teach. Talk about a bunch of kids that KNOW their Bible facts! I was IMPRESSED!
I love looking back at all these sweet faces. They blessed me immensely all week long. I pray that they had half as much fun as I did. And I pray that we will ALL continue to Follow - Worship - and Live through HIM! (the VBS motto)
God's love was revealed among us in this way;
God sent His one and only Son so that we might
live through Him.
I John 4:9













1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Wow! You had a great crowd of kids for your VBS! We don't have it at the church we attend now but at another church many years ago we always had big crowds! Our little granddaughter went to Bible school at their church this time...she is 3.....and it was the same Australian theme as your's was.

Marilyn