Monday, September 26, 2011

CHOOSING LIGHT

We talked about walking in the light in SS yesterday. Have I ever mentioned how much I love my SS class? I have? Too many times? And you wish I'd just move on to something else? Well, if you're gonna be cranky I guess I will. You're welcome.

But just so you know - I LOVE MY SS CLASS! Best. Group. Of. Women. EVER!!!

Teaching about what it means to walk in the light made me realize I'd spent too much time in the dark last week. God's kinda sneaky like that ... He likes to teach the teacher.

I battled a really heavy darkness for several days last week. And I let it scare me. You see, once you've wandered in the wilderness of depression like I did for almost five years, you know for a certainty that it is not a place you ever want to revisit. Winston Churchill battled depression most of his life. He called it "that old black dog" and would often say, "the old black dog is nipping at my heels." That's how I felt last week. It felt for the world like the same darkness of spirit was enveloping me and I couldn't seem to escape its fog.

Yet, I knew it wasn't the "same." My depression of years past was not triggered by circumstances. This black cloud was. Oh, the enemy of our souls knows exactly where and when we are vulnerable and he wastes no time in attacking. The fear was my clue. God doesn't give a spirit of fear. He gives a spirit of power and love and a sound mind. So - when fear gripped with both fists - I knew this was a spiritual attack.

And. I knew the enemy would not win this battle. Nope! Not now. Not ever! The Spirit of God is greater than anything the enemy brings against us. At church yesterday morning two of my sisters - have I mentioned that the women in my SS class are the best EVER? - prayed for me.

Today, it was rainy, dark and overcast outside but I had sunshine in my soul. The light of God moved with me throughout the day dispelling the darkness and I praised Him for answering prayer. And I thanked Him for shining His glorious light.

But here's what He said to me this afternoon:
Beloved child, My light has never moved. It has been shining on you all along. But you had your back turned to Me. You were looking in the other direction. You were looking at your circumstances instead of looking to Me. And, yes, when you look somewhere other than Me, the enemy will see that you are vulnerable to attack.
All you needed to do was turn around. Change the direction of your mind - your focus - and fix your eyes on Me. That's when you will see My light shining all around you because My face is always towards you. Look to Me, dear child, and see My glory!

No comments: