Here they are this past August - all dressed and ready for church. Our former "little princesses" have affectionately become known in our family as "The Three Divas." Prissy, aren't they?But - this post is not about these three girls - precious though they may be! It's about functioning in fantasy. It's easy to see that they are functioning in fantasy when they are dressed in princess costumes, isn't it? But what about the second picture? That's reality, isn't it? They were dressed and ready for church, weren't they? Yes. But.
Our three divas - like so many other 7, 8 & 9 year old girls do not understand that they are 7, 8 and 9 year old little girls. They think they are teenagers. Gone is My Little Pony and Hello Kitty. Gone is Cinderella, Tinker Bell, and Sleeping Beauty. Today it's Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift! And, yes. I'm an old grandmother who would like to keep them young and innocent - unexposed to worldly sensuality - as long as possible. I'm not ready for them to be fantasy teenagers. But hold on now. Don't take what I'm saying the wrong way. I'm not criticizing. I ADORE these three. I think they are wonderful. Remember. This post is not about them. It's about fantasy.
I guess what I'm saying is - when 7, 8 & 9 year olds think they are as grown up as 17, 18 & 19 year old - when they want to look, talk, and act like they are ten years older than they really are - they are functioning in fantasy. However. Their fantasy may LOOK like reality because they are dressing, acting and talking like all the other little girls all around them.
Now. Let's get to the real point of where this post is going.
God has shown me that I have been functioning in fantasy! That's right. Me! Moi! However. I'm not nearly as cute as my granddaughters and there are no pictures of me in a princess costume (aren't you glad?) so I made my point with snapshots of our little beauties.
But I haven't, have I? Made my point - I mean.
Well. Let me just throw out a couple of questions for you to think about.
1. When I spend all day every day caught up in the demands of my daily reality and letting the circumstances that invade it dictate my attitude, am I not functioning in fantasy?
I really think I am.
God's Word tells me that this world is not my home - my citizenship is in heaven. God's Word tells me not to spend my time laying up treasures here on earth where they will eventually rot away. God's Word tells me to invest in heavenly treasures that will last for eternity. God's Word tells me that the kingdom in which I belong is characterized by "righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." That means I don't have to let circumstances dictate my attitude. Even in the most trying time I can have joy in the Holy Spirit. God's Word tells me I can live above the influence of my circumstances if I fix my mind on things above. That, dear sisters, is reality!
2. When I continue to satisfy my personal cravings thinking that what I want will bring me happiness and satisfaction, am I not functioning in fantasy?
I really think I am.
God's Word tells me that my sins will surely find me out. God's Word tells me that what I sow, I will reap. God's Word tells me that He wants me to offer myself and my personal cravings to Him as a living sacrifice. God's Word tells me that He will transform my mind and soften to my heart to crave His ways. God's Word tells me He will give me godly desires in exchange for my fleshy desires when I delight myself in Him. That, dear sisters, is reality!
Can I tell you something? I have learned - and, YES . . . I have learned the hard way - functioning in fantasy will only leave you deceived and defeated!
The opposite of fantasy is TRUTH.
My dear sisters, TRUTH is a person. TRUTH is Jesus Christ. Knowing HIM will set us free. Today I choose to quit functioning in fantasy and walk in the TRUTH!
How about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment