Saturday, September 24, 2011

HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY, HILLARY!

My Darling Hillary,

The Bible says that even before God gave you to us

21 years ago today -

He knew you and had wonderful plans for your life.

(read Psalm 139:13-17)



God whispered your existence to me three days before

I would hear that truth from human lips.

Incredible!

It's one of my most precious memories.

I knew in that moment that I would love you forever.



You were our second grandchild but the first we would have the joy

of spending so much time with. I was beside myself with delight.


I'm not too sure just what that expression on your Grandaddy's face is saying but you seem to be looking at him with some measure of suspicion as well. LOL
You were my favorite "toy" the first year of your life.


We spent lots of time cuddling on that quilt on the floor.
You pinched my cheeks, pulled my glasses off and yanked my hair.
I loved every second of it.

By your first birthday you only had 1 little curl on the top of your head.
But you'd learned how to meddle in my kitchen cabinets.
And that was a habit you continued to pursue for quite some time.
June 1992

Katie Wilson's 3rd b'day party -

a week from today Katie's getting married!
Where DO the years go??

By the time you were two - your curls had fully arrived

and so had your baby "brudder."



You were the happiest little munchkin - "into" hats in a big way

and already had "bikini baby" aspirations!

Grandaddy started you out with a love for fishing early on!

You were a continual source of joy to your then dark haired Gran.

By the time you were 3, you had a partner in kitchen "crime."

Imagine Hamp standing on my dishwasher door today! YIKES!

By the time you were 4,


strangers would stop us to ask if your hair was "real."

That always cracked me up!

By kindergarten and 1st grade, you and I were logging

lots of miles driving to and from school.


We listened to Wee Sing Bible Songs on cassette in the car.

When they sang "Give me that old time religion,"

you would sing "gimme a old-timey engine." ROFL

Jesus Loves the Little Children was your very favorite song.

I loved taking you to ballet class


and watching your recitals. And now you wish we'd never

let you quit, right?

The summer before you were in 4th grade

Grandaddy and I had you all to ourselves at DisneyWorld!
My favorite vacation!

That whole year was especially blessed

I got to make your dress for your mother's wedding.

I gave you Sarah for Christmas

I took you to Cleveland for spring break and had to buy you a SLED!

I watched you "channel" Lucille Ball at the Thomas St. Wax Museum
and swelled with pride every time you recited your speech.

I chaperoned you and your friends on the trip to the

Young Musicians Choral festival in Jackson.
That was a busy and fun-filled year for sure!


When you were 12


you got the baby SISTER you wanted. She had her hand wrapped

around your hair then - and now it's wrapped around your heart. Right?

With the advent of your teens your world took a definite shift.

This was your 13th birthday. Gone were the Barney and Little Mermaid

parties. Instead, you wanted a DANCE PARTY!

Gone was our little girl and in her place it was

"I am woman - hear me roar!" LOL
How could you have only been 15 in this picture??

But you were!



High School years brought a new passion - VOLLEYBALLI remember sweating through a lot of games in that hot THS gym -

But I also remember being incredibly proud of how hard you worked

and what a great teammate you were to your friends.

2009 - your senior year
Your 18th birthday



Graduation

You turned in your cap and gown and took time for some hugs from

the old folks before you hurried off to celebrate.

Your 19th birthday

Grandaddy and I wished we could keep you snuggled between us forever!

We've had lots of Happy Birthdays and

lots of Merry Christmases over the years, sweet girl.

Including Mamaw's 90th Birthday Party - where, as always,

you were there to help make it fun.

Your beautiful smile makes every family gathering more special.



And today, September 24, 2011 -

Your 21st Birthday
My prayer for you today (and EVERY day), my darling girl,
is that you will love the Lord your God with all your

heart, mind, soul and strength.

And that you will walk in the center of

His perfect plan for your life always.

2 comments:

LoriM said...

So very sweet, Mom! Our Hillary is a beautiful young woman!

Kay Barnes Martin said...

So sweet! Loved all the pictures and comments!!