Tuesday, January 3, 2012

TREASURES IN DARK CLOUDS

I latched onto this picture when I came across it the other day. It was a reminder I badly needed in the midst of a storm that seems to be raging all around me. I used it as a desktop background on my laptop so that it was the first thing I saw every time I opened my laptop and it became a prompt to respond, "Lord, I praise you because You ...." Oh my, how it helped keep my focus on HIM and all the multiplied wonders of His Person! So, this morning I even installed it as the cover photo on my Facebook Timeline so I'll see it each time I log onto the social network and read about the pain this storm is bringing into so many who are dear to my heart. My focus needs to be, not on the pain, but on the One who is going to redeem treasures in our lives through the struggles we are enduring today. When I finish blogging, I think I'll print it this picture out and put it on my fridge. I don't know about you but sometimes I need LOTS of reminders!!!

The past two weeks have had my family and many friends in the midst of one of the worst storms I've ever encountered. My heart has been heavy for those who are being battered by the winds - and wounded by the debris the winds have stirred. Lulls have come and quickly been chased away by a new squall arising on the horizon and descending with even greater intensity.

Before this storm arose, we'd been praying intensely for revival. I don't mean a series of meetings with some evangelist preaching. I mean REAL Holy Spirit revival that turns God's people back to Him in total surrender. I mean REAL Holy Spirit revival that breaks our hearts over the sin in our lives and makes us fall on our faces before God crying out for His holiness. It was beginning to rain - soft mercy drops were falling. We cried out for God to bring the rain. We longed for those big, fat, heavy drops of rain that splat and splash when they hit the ground.

I don't think we ever thought that those soft sweet mercy drops would turn into a raging storm that would buffet and assail us on every side making it hard to withstand. I don't think we ever dreamed the winds would come with an intensity that would scatter and separate us from those we once held dear. Oh. BUT. Praise His holy name - God's thoughts are not our thoughts. His ways are not our ways. (Isa. 55:8)

In His great sovereignty, God has allowed this storm. It has brought us to our knees. Our knees. The very place we have needed to be for a long time! It is revealing sin and uncovering the secret faults of our hearts (at least it is in MINE!).

In Isaiah 45:3 God said: "I will give you the treasures of darkness ... that you may know that I am the LORD."

This morning, as dark clouds still gather, I wonder ... will the treasure of this darkness be REVIVAL?

This I KNOW - if this trial causes me to know the Father in a deeper way - if this trial causes me to learn to trust Him more completely - if this trial exposes my secret faults and moves me one step closer to the holiness God desires in my life - then ALL this pain and struggle will have been worth it!!!



Will You not revive us again,


that Your people may rejoice in You?


Psalm 85:6

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Great words of wisdom!! We need to get together!!