Friday, January 20, 2012

WANNA FIGHT?



I have never liked conflict.

I have never wanted to fight.

But sometimes we get pulled right smack dab into the middle of a major battle whether we want to be there or not. As a believer, I've heard the term "Spiritual Warfare" most of my life. I've read books about it. I've watched it from a distance. I've been in the midst of it. I've been on the front lines. I've been wounded in battle. I've experienced defeat in some skirmishes. I've experienced victory in others. I've persevered. I've grown through it. I have learned.

And here's what I have learned from the spiritual battle that has raged around me for the last month: I have learned that I'VE GOT A LOT TO LEARN!!!!

It's extremely easy for me to look at circumstances and focus on the events that caused them. It's equally as easy for me to see the people behind the problems and feel anger and resentment toward them. It's real easy for me to see these people as my enemy. They inflict pain on me. They rob me of a place I love. They destroy what I hold dear. They are my enemy, right? NO! So. The first thing I've had to recognize is that this struggle is NOT against flesh and blood. The bible tells me so! That means I must take my focus off people and the things they say and the things they do if I am going to use my energies to fight the real enemy. Whew! I wish that were as easy as it sounds! But then, life was never meant to be easy, was it?

So. If the battle is not against flesh and blood, who is it against? The second thing I must recognize is who my enemy is. Ephesians 6:12 says the struggle I'm engaged in is


  • against principalities

  • against powers

  • against rulers of the darkness of this present age

  • against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places


Now friends, I've been a Christian long enough to know that "spiritual hosts of wickedness" take on A LOT of different shapes and sizes - so I've been asking the Lord to give me some specifics - and He's been faithful to do that. He's given revelation of some of the strongest spirits at play in this current battle. He's allowed me (and others) to see them at work in the actions of men - to hear them in the words that are spoken. In a number of cases, He has reminded us of other times we have seen these same spirits at work in years past. He has opened our eyes to see what a powerful dominion these spirits have not only in individual lives, but in collective groups, in our church and in our entire community. This principality has a stronghold from which it rules. So. The next thing I must recognize is that it is not going to give up easily. It is not going to relinquish its stronghold without a bloody battle.

Should I be afraid? NO! Praise God, He has equipped His children for battle! He has placed His Spirit within us and "he who lives in us is greater (mightier) than he who has dominion in this world." 1 John 4:4

Ephesians 3:10 tells us that God has given us powerful weapons to use against the spiritual powers of darkness that wage war against Him - for, you see, if they are waging war against us, they are waging war against HIM for we are IN Him!

I want to learn what these weapons are, don't you? Oh sure, we know some of them. But I wonder how many of us know all of them. I sure know I don't! I don't know about you, dear friends, but I've got a lot to learn. And I'm ready to do my homework.

Over the next two or three posts I plan to share a list I found in Sylvia Gunter's Prayer Portions of the Weapons of our warfare. I invite you to join me in allowing the Lord to teach us from His Word a few of the things that will aid us in the battle.

No comments: