Saturday, April 3, 2010

ANYBODY GOT A NOSE RING?


As a ring of gold in a swine's snout,
so is a beautiful woman who lacks discretion.
Proverbs 11:22


Ever heard the old saying, "Pretty is as pretty does"? Seems like I heard that a lot when I was growing up and mostly at times when I was acting . . . well, shall we just say - perhaps NOT so pretty! GRIN

The truth of the adage was modeled for me years later when I was a Brownie troop leader. One of the most beautiful little girls I've ever seen joined my troop of first graders. She was one of those "picture book" beauties. The kind of child you see in magazine ads. Frankly, the first time she came, I was quite in awe of her beauty. But let me tell you what - I have never had a child in any group I've worked with that was more difficult to get along with! She was totally self-centered, demanding, selfish, spoiled, hateful and insolent. She was a total and complete disruption every time she attended. By the second or third time she came, I no longer even saw her physical beauty. Pretty REALLY IS as pretty does!

Girlfriends, we need to realize that our beauty is only as appealing as our underlying values and character. I think that's what the writer of Proverbs 11:22 had in mind.

Listen to this wonderful illustration:
"As my group gathered, a woman in her thirties approached in a wheelchair. She had lost both her legs and also wore coverings on her partially amputated hands. Her face looked as if she had lost all the muscle, and her cheekbones and nose stuck out prominently from her frail skin.

My first thought was, 'Oh, my, she's in our group. Is she going to be presenting?' It was not a prejudice on my part. Having been a registered nurse for years, I had seen many disturbing physical images. What surprised me was that someone in her condition would have the courage and strength of character to become a public speaker.

At first it was difficult to look at her without noticing her deformity. I was distracted by her wheelchair and the difficulty she had trying to finger through her note cards. But by the end of our three days together, I saw only one thing. I saw a beautiful and witty woman with a sparkle in her eyes and a warm and compelling message to tell. She had so much to say and so much to give that her beauty shone through." [Danna Demetre, Scale Down, pp. 101-102]

What if you had been that woman? Would you have the strength of character and depth to rise above your physical limitations and shine through as a beautiful woman? I'm asking myself those questions.

And I'm also asking:

  • Am I letting the beauty of Jesus shine through me today?

Will you ask yourself that too?


1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Yes, I am asking myself that question!