Sunday, April 25, 2010

TO DO


Don'cha just love those little "aha" moments! Maybe sometimes not so much, huh? I'm learning to love them even when they hurt. And, please notice that I said "I'm learning to love them." That's VERY different from "I have learned ..."

I am fully committed to the quest of becoming the woman God wants me to be. There's a LONG way to go, my friends. But. I am fully committed to the QUEST. If I am not currently the woman God wants me to be - and, trust me, I am not - then how am I going to become "her"? AHH - that is the QUEST. I must allow God to change me from the inside out. I must not only yield to His transforming work but participate in it.

Remember when I wrote here about adopting the mantra "Looking Up"? I've been doing that lately - really making a concerted effort to view everything I do from an eternal perspective - really trying to set my mind on things above. (Col. 3:2) THEN. This morning. An "AHA" moment. A simple little question in the devotional I read. And the Holy Spirit said "AHA."

Wanna know what the question was? Here it is.

"When you rolled out of bed this morning, was it your agenda or God's that captured your attention?"

You know what I had to answer. MINE. I woke up with my "To Do List" for the day already running through my mind. Oh, yes, TAWG (time alone with God) was the number 1 thing on my list. How could it not be? But it was still MY list. MY plans for the day.

Oh, girls, don't we get SO busy with the routine things of life! Don't our "to do lists" seem to grow longer instead of shorter! I don't know about you, but some days when I fall into bed at night, I wonder where my day went. The minutes and hours slip by too quickly. I have to ask myself,
  • "What did all the busy things I did today really accomplish?"
  • "Will any of it matter in eternity?"
  • "Did I allow God to accomplish anything through me?"
I don't want to just spend my days. I want to invest them. Paul wrote: "Be very careful then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." Ephesians 5:15-17

What about you? What does your "to do list" look like for today? Is it so scheduled that there is no room for a "divine appointment" that God might place in your path? We miss those "divine appointments" when we are self-absorbed in our own plans.

Is there room on your "to do list" today for
  • a person who might need encouragement
  • a person who might need truth
  • a person who needs Jesus
Is there?

If we are encouraging other believers toward a deeper, more meaningful walk with Christ, giving help to the downtrodden in Jesus' name, loving the unlovely, lifting up the lonely, or sharing the good news, then we are doing what Paul admonished us to do in the above scripture.

Ask the Lord to direct your day today and prompt you to see all the details with spiritual eyes.

I am so busy, Lord;
there is so much to do.
Can all these busy things be from You?
Delete your agenda;
let your soul be still.
There's always time enough to do My will!
[Roy Lessin]

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

I needed the reminder again - I have time and energy to do what He wants me to do but not necessarily what I want to do. Thanks dear friend!