
We ended our Breaking Free Bible study at church a couple of weeks ago by examining the last portion of Isaiah 61:3. Isaiah was talking about captives who had been set free and he said:
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.
I can't say that I've ever really aspired to be an oak tree - or even, really, to be compared to one. Have you? So what does Isaiah mean by "display of his splendor" that I should desire it? Well, the word for display and the word translated splendor in this verse are both the same Hebrew word - pa'ar which means "to embellish, beautify, or adorn; to bring honor, to glorify. To display God's splendor is to radiate His beauty. Oh yeah!! Now, that's something to aspire to! What a wonderful calling! We are called to be the radiance of God's beauty on this earth. Oh, Father, set me free and let it be so!
I began to ponder how I could become an oak of righteousness. Paul wrote:
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, overflowing with thankfulness. Colossians 2:6-7
The word "rooted" took me back to the oak tree and I began to think about what massive root systems they have. Their roots spread far out and deep down. Their roots are so deep and so strong that even in the midst of great storms, healthy oaks are seldom felled. They are mighty and majestic to behold. A display of the Creator's splendor.
God has given us all we need to be rooted, built up, and strengthened in our faith. He has given us all the truth we need to be set free from bondage and stand strong in freedom.
But just like it takes a newly planted sapling TIME to grow strong, deep roots. It takes us TIME to break free from the lies that have filled our minds for many years. It takes TIME for the new messages of truth we are speaking to ourselves to take root and spread down deep into the soil of our hearts and minds.
Life changing habits and growing in the Lord takes time. A fleeting moment of motivation won't cut it. Clinging to Christ - being deeply rooted in Him will.
I want to be a display of God's splendor. The mighty oak in the photo above is a thing of beauty and grandeur with branches reaching to the heavens. But it did not become that overnight. Once it was a simple little acorn that had to fall into the ground and die for "tree life" to spring forth. It had to stay firmly rooted in that soil and receive just the right amounts of sunlight and rain. In the same way, I must die to my selfish ambitions and spring to spirit-filled life. I must stay firmly rooted in Christ, keeping my eyes on Him, my mind on His Word and my heart connected to His truth.
I want to be a display of God's splendor. So here's the truth I'm speaking to myself today: I will patiently and persistently invest the time and energy lasting change requires.
1 comment:
Wonderful post!! I think I do want to be an oak tree if it means bringing glory to the Lord! I know I still have a lot of growing to do to become what God wants me to be!!!
Post a Comment