Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dancing with THE Star


The thought that has stayed with me from the BEAUTIFUL OFFERING Bible study I participated in some time ago has been Angela Thomas' exhortation to "dance the dance of your life in the arms of Jesus."

Okay. I know that's not Jesus in the picture. It's Prince Charming.

But, girls. Stop and think for a minute. All those dreams you had when you were growing up . . . all the wonderful things you thought your Prince Charming would someday do for you . . . remember those?
You thought
  • he would shower you with love . . .
  • he would give you everything you needed . . .
  • he would fulfill your every desire . . .
  • he would protect you from every fear . . .
  • he would never leave you . . .
  • you would be his top priority. . .
  • he would give you beautiful jewels . . .
  • he would clothe you in glorious gowns.
On and on. Can you remember those dreams? Maybe yours were a little different than mine, but didn't we all have "Prince Charming" dreams?

Well, let me ask you something, girlfriends. Isn't Jesus the answer to all those dreams? Think about it. Isn't He the perfect Prince Charming?!!!

Okay. I also know that's Cinderella in the picture - not me.

But, oh girls, isn't there a bit of Cinderella in all of us?

I can only speak for myself, but I can sure tell you that my Prince Charming, Jesus, lifted this "Cinderella" out of the ashes, washed me with the oil of gladness, gave me a robe of praise instead the garment of despair I'd chosen to wear and began to swirl my slippered feet around the dance floor of life secure in His strong and tender arms. (Isaiah 61:3)

Here's my favorite thing about this picture. Look at how lovingly Prince Charming and Cinderella are looking into each other's eyes. For them, there is no one else in the world.

The scripture tells me that when Jesus looks down at me as he holds me in His arms, "the prince is enthralled by my beauty." (Psalm 45:11 - personal paraphrase) Enthralled. The dictionary says that means "held spellbound." WOW! By my beauty? Yes. Mine??? Yes. That's what the scripture says. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, my friend. And my beholder - my Prince Charming - Jesus - thinks I'm beautiful! Yours does too. If that doesn't make us want to dance, what will??

I want to be like Cinderella. I want to be looking into the loving eyes of my Prince Charming as I dance the dance of my life. I want to be safe in His loving arms. I want to be following His lead in every step. How about you?


Let us fix our eyes on Jesus,
the author and perfector of our faith...
Hebrews 12:2

1 comment:

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Jesus is the only One who can actually be Prince Charming! He has everything needed. I'm not much of a dancer, but I think if I follow Him, maybe I can become a better dancer. Thanks for the post!