
The third letter in our acrostic describing a S-E-C-U-R-E woman is the letter C. A secure woman is CLOTHED WITH INTENTION.
I got a first hand glimpse of what it means to be CLOTHED WITH INTENTION Sunday morning when I had to change my blouse three times before I was ready to leave for Sunday School. I usually decide on Saturday evening what I will wear Sunday morning. It's not like it's a real hard decision. Shall I wear the black slacks or the brown ones this Sunday? Black slacks usually win by default because my brown dress shoes hurt my feet. The last time I wore those suckers I had to walk across the parking lot to our car barefooted after church because I couldn't stand them a minute longer. I started to take them off in church and just tell people I was standing on "holy ground" but my pride got in the way. (Remember, I told you we ALL deal with pride on a daily basis!) I actually gave the shoes to one of my granddaughter's friends a couple of days ago ... yes, to a 19 year old girl - this old lady likes "stylin" shoes! ROFL But, I digress. Back to my Sunday morning story. I had a new tee that I was planning to wear with black slacks and a white linen jacket. But when I pulled the jacket on, the design of the t-shirt showed through too much and looked awful. So - plan B. How about the solid red tank? Yeah, red, black & white. That's always spiffy. Hmmm. Has the v-neck of this top always been that low. Just don't like showing that much cleavage. Where are all my tank tops? Have I not gotten them out this year? ARGH! Rummage through the chest-of-drawers. Yep. Here they are. AHH - solid turquoise. Fits okay. Looks fine. Away we go.
Now, I ask you girls, is that or is that not being CLOTHED WITH INTENTION? We have to make a conscious decision what clothing we will put on our bodies or we'd be running around naked every day. Oh, perish the thought! That gives me cold shivers just to think about!! YUCK! But let's face it - when Adam and Eve grabbed fig leaves to cover themselves, they were CLOTHED WITH INTENTION, weren't they?
In the same way we clothe our physical being with intention, God desires that we clothe our spiritual being.
...put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24
When we get dressed each morning, we put off our pajamas which are soiled from sleeping in them and put on fresh, clean clothes. (Well, at least some of us do. LOL)
Spiritually, we must make a conscious intention each and every day (moment by moment) to put off that old flesh woman we were before Jesus saved us and His Spirit came to live inside us. That "old self" is corrupted by its deceitful desires. Hmmm. Does that ring any bells? Didn't we just decide the other day that pride is deceitful? I believe we nailed it as being a liar and a cheater. That desire of the old self to have its own way has to be continually "put off." That's part of the "old self" who was crucified with Christ and now no longer lives. (Gal. 2:20)
We're to be made NEW. Where?? Look at the scripture again. We're to be made new in the attitude of our minds. That's where being CLOTHED WITH INTENTION begins, girlfriends. In the attitude of our minds! Do I dare say it again? We must recognize the lies we believe that are keeping us living in insecurity, replace them with the truth of God (that we have everything IN us we need to be secure women because HE is IN us), rehearse that truth over and over, and allow it to renew the attitude of our minds.
If we are to be spiritually CLOTHED WITH INTENTION, what does the scripture say we are to "put on"? Your new self! What is your new self? It's a secure woman who knows she has it in her to meet the challenges of life because she has HIM - the Holy Spirit - in her. Look at Ephesians 4:24 again. Your new self was created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
What did you put on this morning? Was it true righteousness? Was it holiness? What about compassion? Did you pull that over your head? What about kindness? Did you wrap that around your shoulders? What about humility? Did you slip your feet through that one? What about gentleness? What about patience? What about forgiveness?
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:12-13
The immortal, invisible, all-wise God of the universe chose you, my dear sister. You are holy to the Lord. You are dearly loved by Him. What did you put on this morning? Are you CLOTHED WITH INTENTION?
1 comment:
Liked the analogy of intentionally clothing ourselves. It made me stop and think about what I put on this morning and I don't mean the clothes I'm wearing!
Post a Comment