Friday, April 2, 2010

MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL


Do you like what you see in the mirror? The sad truth is, most of us don't. I got such a kick out of this picture because, quite obviously, this old woman DOES like what she sees. And who can blame her? The reflection sure looks better than the real thing!

The picture gave me a really good laugh. After I quit chuckling I began to wonder . . . is it possible for those of us who don't like what we see in the mirror to become like this lady? To look in the mirror and see something better? You know what? I really believe it is!

Most of us who don't like what we see in the mirror have arrived at our poor self-image through years of deep-seated, unhealthy thinking. If how we see ourselves is a result of our thinking . . . and it IS, girlfriends . . . then, can't we change how we think? I really believe we CAN!!

Doesn't the Bible tell us in Romans 12:2 not to be conformed to the world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds? Could that mean that we don't have to let our society's standards of beauty and body image dictate how we see ourselves? I'm just thinking aloud here, girls, but hang with me. If the scripture says do not be conformed . . . doesn't that mean we not only don't have to think about ourselves the way the world does . . . but, as believers, we really SHOULDN'T let society dictate our standards? I think it does!!

It's difficult to avoid the constant bombardment of messages that influence how we perceive ourselves. The old saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is SO true. And girlfriend, when we are standing in front of that mirror - WE are the "beholder." Are we going to see beauty? Are we going to see a healthy self image?

We will if we change our focus and begin to see ourselves from GOD'S perspective!!

Can I give you the same challenge I have given myself? For the month of April, let's stand in front of our mirror each morning and tell ourselves these four things:

  • God created me, and I am always beautiful in His eyes.

  • I celebrate who I am and realize my body is not the most important aspect.

  • I can enjoy life without always thinking about how I look.

  • I am focusing on my strengths more than my perceived flaws.
Let's do it, girls. Write those four statements on a card. Put it beside (or on) your mirror. Look yourself in the eye. Read them every morning for the next month. By the first of May, let's see if our self-image is being transformed by the renewing of our mind.

Anybody up for the challenge?

2 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I really need this little "pep talk" girl! I can be walking down the street or working in the house and be as happy as a lark....then suddenly see myself in a mirror or window and quick as a wink be in a depressed state of mind! I will TRY to take your challenge!

God bless and Happy Easter!

Marilyn

Kay Barnes Martin said...

Renew my mind - renew my thinking - yes, yes, yes!!!