Tuesday, October 16, 2007

In My Father's Arms






While sorting through some old family photographs a few weeks ago I was struck by the number of pictures that showed me in my daddy's arms.

The photo on the right is probably circa 1946 since I look to be somewhere around a year old. I was two in the photo on the left and that's Castillo de San Marcos (the "Old Fort") in the background where we lived in St. Augustine, Florida.


I was a much blessed little girl to have had parents who loved and cared for me as mine did.
Like many little girls, snuggled safely in my daddy's arms was a place I loved to be. What is it about girls and their daddies? For me, it was a precious bond. In my daddy's arms I felt protected. I felt safe - secure - loved. I think I was probably nearly 5 years old in the picture on the right, and obviously, still finding my daddy's arms one of my favorite places to be.
Ah, but little girls grow up and get too big for daddies to hold them anymore. Even after I was grown and married with children of my own, my gregarious father was always generous and demonstrative with his affection. I could count on big "bear hugs" that didn't want to let go whenever we'd get to be together. I'm so thankful to have had the daddy I had. Was he a perfect man? No. Was he a godly man? Very few would probably answer that affirmatively. Was he a loving man? Yes - oh, YES! He delighted in me as his daughter and I reveled in his attention. He loved me unconditionally and (as I've written before) my earthly father's love for me greatly helped me understand my Heavenly Father's love for me.
I carry with me continually the picture in my mind of the Jewish father in the Jerusalem hotel as he bent over and outstretched his arms for his little daughter to run to her "Abba" (see my 9/28/07 post entitled "Encountering ABBA in Israel"). I can remember so many times of running into my daddy's arms the same way. Little girls may grow up and, like mine, our daddies may no longer be around to extend their arms to us. But our Heavenly Father will never leave us nor forsake us. We will never get "too big" to be held securely in the arms of a Heavenly Father who loved us so much that while we were still afar off, caught up in all our sin and decadence, He gave a ransom for us. He paid the ultimate price of the shed blood of His only Son to buy our pardon and free the way for us to run into His arms.
In the Bible study I'm participating in at church ("Beautiful Offering"), Angela Thomas writes: "Imagine curling up in the strong arms of Jesus. His shoulders curve in tenderness around your tired body. His head is bent low so that His cheek brushes against your tear-stained face. His hand gently strokes your hair. You feel His power. You are protected. You are safe. Because you are within Christ's strength you too become strong. Nothing can have you. You belong to God." Oh, what a wonderful place to be!
You may not have the blessing of warm memories of love and affection when you think about your daddy like I do. Many, MANY women were not as fortunate as I was and I know that. I've heard many of their stories. But, oh my friend, the same Heavenly Father is waiting to wrap His arms of love around you! The same strong arms of Jesus await you!
I'd been thinking about the tender, affectionate love of my Heavenly Father all week last week and Sunday morning I read in Mark 1:29-34 about Jesus healing Simon (Peter's) mother-in-law of a fever. What struck me most was that though He could have stood in the doorway and spoken healing to her, He didn't. He went to her, probably stooping all the way to her cot on the floor to draw close to her. He touched her. He involved Himself with her one-on-one, rebuked the fever and lifted her up.
Is there a fever that is incapacitating you today? Many of us allow the weight issue to heap such guilt and shame on us that we withdraw to self-imposed isolation. Some of us harbor the fever of resentment and anger in our hearts until it bursts forth in the flame of depression. Others of us content ourselves with the "low-grade" fever of unresolved conflict or unforgiveness until it spreads through our system to become a root of bitterness and defiles many.
Do you have a fever today? Is it low-grade and you're still trying to "carry on"? Or is it raging out of control and threatening to totally incapacitate you? However simple or severe your fever may be, there is One Who has healing. And Jesus, the Great Physician, makes house calls! Call Him today! Don't wait a minute longer. Let Him stoop down and rebuke your fever. Let Him lift you up and hold you in His wonderful arms.
When Simon's mother-in-law was healed, she immediately got up and began serving Jesus and the others. When Jesus heals you, he will restore you to a place of usefulness in His kingdom's work and He will strengthen you with His power to do the things He calls you to do.
The eternal God is your refuge,
and underneath are the
everlasting arms.
Deuteronomy 33:27

No comments: